Answered

Group non-Airplay products not working

• 10 December 2020
  • 4 replies

I have a Sonos Amp in one room, Sonos Play:1s setup as a stereo pair with a sub in another,  and single Sonos One SLs in different rooms.  Everything is on a single network using EERO Pros.  I use the S2 app.   

When I turn on the option to “Group Non-Airplay Products”, then Airplay to either the Amp or the one of the One SLs, I am expecting the Play:1s to play whatever is streaming via Airplay.   Airplay is working to the Airplay compatible systems just fine, but nothing comes out of the Play:1s.  This is true whatever the source.  (Spotify, Podcasts, etc)   If I use the Sonos app and select the Play:1s, they work fine.  Any multi-room combination also works fine using the Sonos app so I feel like the network is working properly.  The Airplay compatible products work as expected with Airplay, just not the Play:1s  with the “Group Non-Airplay Products” switch on (or off)

Maybe I am not understanding what the “Group Non-Airplay Products” switch is suppose to do.  If I am understanding it correctly, what should I be looking at to get it to work.  I’ve restarted the network and the Sonos system.  Still not working.  

icon

Best answer by olddirtfish450 14 December 2020, 02:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

​Hi @olddirtfish450

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for letting us know about your concern. To help you check why your Play 1 is not getting audio when grouped with your other Sonos devices when AirPlay streaming, I'll be requesting a diagnostic report submitted from your Sonos system. Please don't forget to include the confirmation numbers in your response to look into your system and find out the cause. We'll wait for your reply.

Let us know if you need help with any other information, we're here to assist you.

Thank you for the reply.   It seems to be working as expected now.  Using the Sonos app to make sure the Group I created for the Airplay and non-Airplay products is selected before I stream with Airplay seems to be the way to make it work.   Hoping that just sticks so I don’t need to start the Sonos app first in the future.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @olddirtfish450, thanks for your response and for updating us. I'm glad that you were able to stream via AirPlay using the group that you created for non-AirPlay products. Please continue to monitor your Sonos system and feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

I had a similar experience:  turning on Group Non-AirPlay Products alone does not make all my Sonos products play together when streaming from the BBC Sounds app.  

However, if I start my stream to my Sonos One SL speaker (which BBC Sounds App recognizes in its AirPlay function) and then switch to the Sonos app and add devices/rooms to the group, I can select the rooms and individual volume levels to my liking. 

This hasn’t been an issue before because I could just play BBC Radio stations from within the Sonos app using Tune In.  However,  I heard today that BBC Radio content will no longer be available via third party services like Tune In after March 2021 -  presumably part of their strategy to drive all listeners worldwide to use the BBC Sounds app exclusively.  Hopefully the connectivity issues will get better with time.