Answered

Ethernet wiring and wifi simultaneously?

• 27 September 2022
  • 11 replies

Hi!

I’m trying to add a Connect Amp as surround speakers for Playbase. The problem is that my router is upstairs, i.e. nowhere near these devices. My question is can I wire the Playbase and Connect Amp via Ethernet cables to router 1 that sits downstairs but isn’t connected to the internet AND have the devices use router number 2 upstairs for wifi and Internet access? As far as I know, using the Connect Amp for surround speakers wouldn’t need internet access via the Ethernet cable, just the signal from the TV via TOSLINK. But then I could play music off the Internet via wifi when needed. Is this possible or a pipe dream? =D  

icon

Best answer by ratty 27 September 2022, 22:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Question is: does the Playbar use wifi for internet access when it is cable connected to a router that has no internet access……

It’s a pipe dream. The Sonos devices basically need a router to provide IP addresses and gateway access to the internet. 

Get a Boost and wire it to the main/upstairs router. This will put the system into SonosNet mode. You can then string an Ethernet cable directly between the Connect:Amp and Playbase. No need for the downstairs router.

Oh, right! I forgot all about the Boost. Thanks! 

I’m also now considering a powerline ethernet setup to connect both devices to my upstairs router without wires crossing my living room. Performance may well be a problem though, if indeed it works at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I remember reading powerline is not supported by Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It's not ‘Not supported' as in it won't work, it's that if you have any problems then it's not something Sonos would spend too much time looking into. It may work fine, it may not.  It may work intermittently and be difficult to troubleshoot.  Many use it fine without issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Don’t do Powerline.  Anything over AV1000 will not work and under that is fraught with issues, an as above not supported by Sonos.  It can work for ages and then suddenly you get constant issues.  I have been there and ended up running a cable added a switch and ran the kit ethernet connected.

Powerline is especially likely to cause problems linking the elements in a home theatre setup (in this case the Connect:Amp and Playbase) as these have virtually no buffering in order to keep latency to a minimum. The slightest perturbation on the powerline connection would cause the Connect:Amp to drop out.

Okay, fair enough. Thanks for the sound advice. I’ve tested the powerline connection in my house with two adapters (I’d need three for the whole Sonos shebang), and it seems to work, but with an average ping of about 20 ms. I wonder if that is a deal-killer already.

But another thought occurred to me: the Connect Amp has two Ethernet ports, correct? Can I connect it to the router AND to the Playbase via cable at the same time to achieve what I’m trying to? 

Okay, fair enough. Thanks for the sound advice. I’ve tested the powerline connection in my house with two adapters (I’d need three for the whole Sonos shebang), and it seems to work, but with an average ping of about 20 ms. I wonder if that is a deal-killer already.

An average ping of 20ms will almost certainly spike much higher at times. The buffering is at best 30ms deep. It would be asking for trouble. 

But another thought occurred to me: the Connect Amp has two Ethernet ports, correct? Can I connect it to the router AND to the Playbase via cable at the same time to achieve what I’m trying to? 

Yes, you can daisy-chain through the C:A.

Yes, well, turns out I can’t get the powerline ethernet into the corner of the room where the C:A is supposed to be, so some wires across the room are inevitable. I’ll go with the Boost then.

Thanks, the help is highly appreciated!  

@Riksa . If you want to avoid running cables, and budget allows, consider upgrading your Connect:Amp to a Sonos Amp, which does not require a wired connection.  In fact, it is better wireless when used for surrounds and located in the same room as the Playbar.