Skip to main content
Answered

Era 300 : watch movies with Apple TV = good idea ?

• 26 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Hey guys, quick question:

I plan to setup a videoprojector on my ceiling, and I would like to connect it with an AppleTV 4K , and use a Sonos Era300 as sound system.

Unfortunately I don’t have a wall to hang a soundbar on it, so I’ll put my Era300 on a Stand Pair under the screen when I’ll watch movies. 

What do you think about that ?

→ I understand it’s not possible to have Dolby Atmos sound through AirPlay2 (yet? I hope you’re working on it guys?), but will it work in Dolby 5.1 ? Or Stereo only ?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

If you are connecting via Bluetooth or Airplay, it is stereo only.  

And stereo only is a restriction by Apple, not Sonos. Apple would need to be working on that. 

Thanks for your answers guys : do you have another idea which would allow me to connect my videoprojector on ceiling to the Era300 with Dolby Atmos ? A Sonos amp ?

Does your video projector have Arc or eARC? That’s the only method by which a Sonos device can receive an Atmos signal. So either your projector needs to have that capability, or you’re looking at an external device to create that type of signal for you. And you’d need a Sonos Arc in the front, it has separate ceiling facing speaker,s for Atmos and sends Atmos signals to the 300s. 

It’s a Viewsonic X1, they say it has 2 “HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2” ports

Here is my setup guys, problem is that I have no place to put a soundbar like Sonos Arc, that’s why I’m thinking about a Era300 on a stand

Hi

Dolby Atmos for movies with Sonos requires an HDMI input. Sonos Era 300’s not have an HDMI input. Furthermore, they were not designed/intended to be used as front (L/R) speakers in a HT setup.. They can only produce Dolby Atmos for movies when used as surrounds with an Arc or Beam 2.

Assuming your Projector (PJ) is capable and you are willing to place an Arc on a table below the pull down screen you might consider a setup using the HDFury as shown in the link. However, running a HDMI cable will spoil the pristine look I see in the photo.

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Thanks for your answer, I’ll think about that… I’m also considering using a Homepod instead, to get Dolby Atmos, but this is sad, the Era300 seems so much better...