Era 300 placement

• 5 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Good evening all. I’ve just currently purchased the Sonos arc, sub gen 3 and two era 300. All are still currently boxed as decorating my lounge. The length of my lounge is 6m. As you will see my tv is placed on one wall and the opposite side has a bifold door. Where my sofa sits it’s in the centre of room right in front of tv and sits in line with end of wall on left and right. Now do I put my era 300 in line with my sofa highlighted as A on wall or do I go with option 2 highlighted as B on the ceiling just in front of curtain pole upside down?

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

Typically you want your Arc and surrounds in a “bubble” around the viewing/listening area. My suggestion would be to consider stands for the Era 300’s.

The power cord for the right surround (facing the TV) could be run under the sofa to a wall outlet on the left side. I have a similar setup using an extension cord underneath my sofa joining both surround power cords with only the extension cord visible on the left side plugged into the wall outlet. Not as clean as I would like but I gain optimum placement for my surrounds. 

I would not use option “A” as that places a surround in front of the viewing area (assuming your diagram is accurate). That is definitely a “No-No”.

Option “B” would work but IMO the distance between them in relationship to the seating is way off. However, using Trueplay (in the Sonos app) with an iOS device may/might equalize the distances 🤔

IMO using option “A” or “B” is not ideal given the seating/viewing setup. The surround effect (left to right or vise-versa) would most likely be too far off. If my suggestion is a non-starter...I’d experiment by placing the Era 300’s on ladders and use TruePlay to determine if A or B option works best.

In any event I would Trueplay the room with any setup.

Thank you for the reply. I had guessed that option A wouldn’t be right. Now with where you put them I like the idea, tho my wife is a pain for moving sofa’s and arm chairs about 🤨🙄

I think I shall do what you have mentioned by playing around with ladders and trying out TruePlay and finding the optimal sound for my room set up.

While I’m here, am I right in thinking that if I chase out my wall and run hdmi cable from PS4 and firestick into normal hdmi slots will I get sound playing to the arc? I already have a hdmi running behind tv/wall in eARC which use to be connected to my Marantz avr.

Userlevel 7

Hi

Sorry to hear that the wife move’s furniture about so often 😂😂. Trueplay is seating specific for optimum surround effect. So moving your main seating position around will change the dynamics. IMO the sofa per your diagram appears to be placed perfectly given the TV placement..,so I’m curious as to where it might be repositioned to 🤔

Any HDMI source has to have a direct connection to your TV or via a switch via HDMI connected to your TV. The HDMI eARC port should be used with your Arc.