Skip to main content

Era 300 placement

• 20 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Hey gang. 

I have a 19’ wide X 22’ deep X15’ high ceiling in the living room area. As you can see in the first pic below, i am contemplating putting the 300’s in the corners (see blue boxes). The other option is to have them mounted straight on the face of the wall. Some articles state to not put them in the corners, but other threads say it is okay. It is not an option for us to put them on stands behind the couch given the way my wonderful wife has the room arranged.

We listen 50% - 50% music - movies-- maybe more on the movies side. But the kids do love to crank up the system and do the karaoke every once in a while. I am the music appreciation major and love immersing myself in some good music and appreciate the quality of a great mix

What is the consensus of y’all? And then how high do y’all recommend?

The 2nd image below shows the view facing behind the couch towards the TV. My plan is to place my existing Sonos Play 1 in the bookshelves, although I am contemplating investing in the Era 100’s. I have a Play Bar under the TV and the large Sonos sub where the Christmas tree is

Where do you recommend i put the 100’s???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

You cannot use the Era 300s or 100s as surrounds with the Playbar.

How exactly are you planning to use the Play:1s (or Era 100s) in the front of the room?

Badge

hey Guitar,

So, with my Playbar, what is your recommendation? Seeking to understand the constraints with the Playbar-- still learning.

re: the Play’1 or Era 100’s-- i was thinking maybe incorrectly they would be part of the 5:1-- 

What is your suggestion give the above?

Userlevel 7

For the Play:1s to be part of the 5.1 system, they would need to be set up as surround speakers with the Playbar and placed behind your main listening position. You can mount them where you drew the blue boxes. I would try this setup first. Make sure to set the Music Playback setting under Surround Audio to FULL. This will give you full stereo playback from the Play:1s when streaming music.

If this setup isn’t sufficient, you might consider using larger speakers for surrounds like the Five, Play:5 (Gen 2), or Play:3, although the latter two are discontinued so you would have to purchase them on the used market.

Badge

Hey Guitar,

So, why can’t the Era 300’s be behind the listening area and the Play:1’s be in the front 4’ or so to the right and left of the Sound bar? And it sounds like i need to upgrade to the Beam or Arc, correct?

Userlevel 7

Hey Guitar,

So, why can’t the Era 300’s be behind the listening area and the Play:1’s be in the front 4’ or so to the right and left of the Sound bar? And it sounds like i need to upgrade to the Beam or Arc, correct?

Because the Era 300s cannot be used as surrounds with the Playbar. If you want to use the Era 300s or 100s as surrounds, you need to upgrade to the Arc or Beam (Gen 2).

Also the Playbar (or any Sonos sound bar) alone already includes the center, front left, and front right channels of a home theater setup. So adding two speakers on either side of the Playbar isn’t supported in a Sonos home theater setup. You could place the Play:1s up front and group them with the sound bar, but when you play TV audio, there will be a slight audio delay from the Play:1s which will result in an echo effect. Streaming music will be in sync though.

Badge

hey Guitar,

ah, now I hear ya, I think.

Soooooooo, I thought what makes a 5:1 system is my sub with sound bar + left front speaker, + right front speaker and then + left right rear speakers.. But I hear you saying, you get 5:1 with the sub, sound bar and the rear Era 300’s, correct?

thanks for hanging in there with me and educating me