Answered

Era 100 dropping out while watching tv

• 18 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

I’ve just connected 2 x Era 100s to my Beam (Gen 1). (In the TV room)
They work perfectly for music. 
When I watch a tv program, the Eras intermittently drop out. Not both at the same time though, so you get this annoying left ear, right ear thing that happens when watching a show. 
I experienced the same problem when I tried using my Move or Roam with the Beam. They both drop out while watching tv.

I ended up putting a One in place of the Move and that solved the problem.
I’ve been using a Five and a One with my Beam - and I haven’t heard a ‘drop out’ while watching TV. So I figured the power cord just made the difference. 

I decided that the portable speakers just don’t connect that well to the Beam for tv audio. (Never had a problem when listening to music though). 
So, with my new Era 100s - I didn’t think I’d have the ‘drop out’ problem as they are wired to a power source. 
Does anyone have advice on why the Eras would be dropping out on tv audio - but not for music?

Thanks. Muz

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 18 April 2024, 14:33

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

How are your speakers set up? Are they bonded as surrounds? Paired, as a second room and grouped with your Beam? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Your post talks of “a Five and a One”. Are these single speakers, then grouped? 

Are your 2 Era 100s setup as surround sound speakers, or are they a setup as a separate room in your system?      A pair of like speakers can be properly setup for surround sound, but unlike speakers (Five and One for example) or portable speakers (Move or Roam)  cannot.    Music and TV audio are handled differently with Sonos and if you want to use the Era 100s with TV audio as surrounds, I would definitely recommend you set them up as such.

In terms of the drop outs, I would recommend turning off your router temporarily, and unplugging speakers, to hopefully address network issues.  If that does not improve things, probably best to give Sonos support a call, as they have tools to better diagnose the issue and give steps to address the problem.

Whether the speakers are connected to power or not isn’t really relevant.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve now connected them as surrounds to the Beam. So far so good. Doesn’t seem to be dropping out  

I tried two options previously : as two separate rooms connected to the Beam (which I liked as I could control the volume of all three separately), and as a stereo pair connected to the Beam. 
I guess I’m just confused why the set up I had with the One and Five connected to the Beam so seamlessly when watching tv, but the Eras didn’t do the same thing. 
Anyway, I’m happy for now, so thanks again for the good detail. 

I’ve found the setting where I can adjust the volume on the surrounds. Much better. Definitely sounds great with the Eras set up as surrounds. The sound is way more immersive. Loving it.