Answered

Era 100 as surround

• 26 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi ,

I have the beam gen 2 + sub mini and wanted to add 2 x Era 100 which I did, 

I cant say thay I feel the difference by adding Era 100 to get more out of it. 

the both Era 100 cant be heard ( only a little and doesnt  change much if the volume is high ) and there is almost zero effect on surround even watching movies via apple TV with Atmos.

they do better work when listening to music on stereo mode but surround is def. not what I was expecting.

any other here using the same and not happy with it ? 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 27 June 2023, 07:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

What audio format is displayed on the Now Playing screen in the Sonos app when playing TV audio? What exactly are you watching and from what app/device? What model TV do you have?

Badge

I do have an LG 65CS6 , it is a new one and I did connect Sonos beam 2 via eARC.

when I play a movie on apple TV 4K and I choose a movie with dolby atmos it is mentioned on the app Dolby digital or Atmos.

but I just dont get much from the rear speakers ( Era 100’s ) 

Userlevel 7

Set the TV to these settings:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Output: Pass Through

eARC Support: On

You can also adjust the level of the surround audio by following the instructions in this article:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/low-audio-from-surround-speakers-when-watching-tv#

In addition to the settings check, you have to know surround sound is not all the sound, all the time.  The surrounds are not going to be duplicating the front speakers, with dialog and such coming from the surrounds like it is from the fronts.  They are for directional effects, and ambient sounds like rain or wind.  

Badge

Thanks to both of you for the details.

guess I was expecting more from surround but now I know.

thanks again

Thanks to both of you for the details.

guess I was expecting more from surround but now I know.

thanks again

A good test is here: 

https://www.dolby.com/ja/about/support/guide/downloadable-dolby-atmos-trailers/#gref

Download the trailers, then load the downloads on a USB stick, which can be played on most TV sets by plugging it into the USB slot on the TV.