Answered

dolby digital 5.1 + not available on apple tv 4k

• 9 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi everyone!

I’m new to sonos world and loving it overall. I did a test on something today which was quite confusing for me. 

I have sonos beam gen2 + sub mini + 2 era 100’s for surround. I have a 55” lg tv and apple tv 4k connected via hdmi. Sonos beam is connected via earc hdmi port. 

When i watch netflix on apple tv 4k, ie the gentleman, i get “multichannel pcm 5.1” but if i watch it on lg smart tv’s netflix app i get dolby digital plus 5.1 which i prefer because it’s louder and cleaner for dialogue weirdly. 

I have earc on, pass through and bitstream set up on tv and on apple tv 4k - i have audio/change format OFF, dolby atmos ON. Even if i turn on Change Format and keep dolby digital 5.1 i have the same on my sonos app “multichannel pcm 5.1”

Help :)

icon

Best answer by Schlumpf 9 April 2024, 01:54

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@arslanelver 

That‘s the normal way ATV works if „change format“ is set to off. But with that option turned on to force DD5.1 you should get it on Sonos. Did you try to restart the movie or both (Netflix app and movie) on ATV after changing the option?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Schlumpf thank for your reply. Yeah if i turn change format on and choose  dolby 5.1, all good. But sometimes it’s multichannel pcm 5.1 and that’s definitely more quiet particularly on the center for dialogue. I dont understand why apple does it this way. It’s almost easier to watch on smart tv s apps everything for better sound. Because i have to switch off change format for proper atmos if the content is atmos

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have an lg b8 oled 65 inch tv with an arc and Apple TV that doesn’t do the pcm thing

i get atmos dd+ with atmos content and Dolby 5.1 when it’s 5.1 only time I see pcm is with old stereo content 

I also get dts 5.1 with my Blu-ray player maybe it’s an arc vs earc issue

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Interesting. I will check again tonight. Thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Interesting. I will check again tonight. Thank you

Try disabling your earc see if that works 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@skullc 

Just to avoid any confusion… are you talking about Apple TV (set top box) device or about AppleTV+ streaming service app directly on your tv?

As far as I know ATV device isn’t able to put out Atmos and DD5.1 depending on the contents audio track with the same audio settings. But if so, how are your audio settings on ATV box?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Schlumpf 

its an Apple TV gen 3 don’t change format atmos enabled 

my lg tv only has arc so doesn’t support multi channel pcm probably why mine displays 5.1 Dolby 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@skullc 

Ok, thx… the „just“ ARC connection does explain that.  👍🏻