Skip to main content
Answered

do you need to put CONNECT:amp physically close to/connect Beam for surround sound? operating in S1

• 26 March 2022
  • 6 replies

hi - hainging a new TV with a Beam (Gen1) and want to do surround speakers with 2 sonos ceiling speakers (with a connect:Amp).  Does the amp need to be wire connected to the beam (which would mean in physical proximity), or linked in the app to make it work (which means could put the amp in the closet)?

thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Here is the info you need

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2237?language=en_US

Using the CONECT:AMP to power surrounds requires both the Beam and the CONNECT:AMP to be wired. As a result, distance between the two isn’t all that relevant. See the setting up Amp or CONNECT:AMP as surround speakers FAQ. 

thanks for your answers - the salesperson at the local home automation store wanted to piggy back the amp with the beam - which would have required a recessed box/venting - glad to know they can be separate….

appreciate the quick and helpful answers!

You may be aware that with the Sonos Amp (which replaced the Connect:Amp) there is no need for any component to be wired. 

I am - but I have a lot of S1 components and not ready to make the investment to upgrade just yet.

I am - but I have a lot of S1 components and not ready to make the investment to upgrade just yet.

Perfectly reasonable.  I just wanted to make sure you had the full picture.