Connection Issues

• 7 December 2020
  • 4 replies

I have a playbar, bridge and a gen 1 speaker. All was well until an update and now my play 5 is no longer connecting. 
The system no longer recognises my bridge and tells me to download S2 and everything will be saved. I download S2 and it tells me my bridge is no longer compatible and to use S1…. on doing this, the S1 won’t support my system and to download S2….. and so it goes on. I have tried to reset the system but still only have the playbar working.

What do I need to do because it’s driving me mad. Would a boost make it work? Do I connect via a cable into something? 

I am not very tech savvy so easy suggestions please. 

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

A BOOST can be used to replace a BRIDGE, and is S2 capable. Or, you could just wire an ethernet cable to your PLAY:5 or PLAYBAR.  Or, you could just enter your WiFi information in the controller, and your PLAY:5 could connect directly to your router wirelessly. 

You might read the wired and wireless modes FAQ.

Thx for reply…. nothing seems to work….I have wired the play 5 to the router with the ethernet cable and still nothing ☹️ All wifi info is in controller… says I am connected to my broadband...but it cannot find the speaker. So now I’m thinking that if I buy a boost...I will have to as bridge is useless/incompatible...will it make any difference to whether the play 5 will connect? Do I need a new speaker and a boost? Will that connect with my playbar as well? Help 🤯

No, I don’t think a BOOST is your cure. I suspect that you need a simple wifi refresh. Leave the PLAY:5 wired to the router, and the BRIDGE unplugged and out of the equation. Then unplug all Sonos devices from power. While they’re unplugged, reboot your router. Wait a couple of minutes for the router to reload, and then plug all Sonos devices except the BRIDGE back in to power. Give them a minute to boot up, and then open your controller to see if they show up. If they do, you can recycle the BRIDGE or throw it away. If it’s inconvenient to keep that Ethernet cable to the PLAY:5, you could then replace it with a BOOST, and move that Ethernet cable. But, you could just leave the Ethernet cable to any Sonos speaker. 

However, if this does not work, and you’ve double checked that the Ethernet cable isn’t faulty, I would call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available for them to assist you.

Thx again…. done everything but nothing. I will speak to support xx