Connecting surrounds to Ray

• 4 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Just got a Sonos Ray as a gift and I’m hoping there’s a way to connect my two other Sonos speakers to it as a surround group.  The problem I think is that the other speakers are a One and a Play:1. When I got those speakers a few years ago, I had to use a 3rd party app called Sonos Sequencer to connect them as a stereo pair. I’ve used that app to group them with the Ray, but wonder if there is some way to get the three connected in a left-center-right configuration. When I separate the stereo pair to try to set them up as surrounds in the Sonos app, the speakers are not recognized. I appreciate any advice!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I don’t think the Sonos controller will allow that, not sure about third party ones.

You might grab a used Play 1 or Sonos One and us it and yours as surrounds. on ebay it looks like the Ones may be a couple bucks cheaper than the 1s.

I figured it out and the app Sonosequencr does it perfectly.   The comments in this thread gave me the answer.  

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/home-theater-surround-sound-with-play-1-and-one-6806642 

Hope this helps someone else!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@KBush Does Sonosequencer allow you to set up your Play 1, One and Ray as FL-Center-FR, or have you set them up as a usual surround system (Ray as fronts and center, Play 1 and One as rears)?

It’s FL-Center-Right. Not really surround I guess, but extra separation. It also has an option for sub. I could be wrong…it’s a bit of a slog to figure out how to use the app. I’m grateful for it, however! It’s too bad sonos couldn’t/wouldn’t build better compatibility features for their various devices. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I do think Sonos is right to not allow combinations that they think will not hold up to their standards. Using two speakers for surrounds that do not use the same build, using a soundbar as a center speaker cannot be giving you the sound Sonos intends you to hear.