Connecting a projector and a tv to sonos arc

• 18 January 2024
  • 7 replies

I have been reading the posts concerning this subject, but I am still confused and I am hoping for some help. I have a Sonos Arc with sub and Era 300s for surround in my theater room. I also have both a new tv and new projector that both support eARC.  I would like to connect both to the Sonos Arc, but for the life of me I cannot understand which switcher I need.  Do I need and HDMI extractor?  I just want to get the complete sound (including Atmos) from both devices to the Arc.  Thank you in advance for the help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

You would need some sort of HDMI switch, one which passes through the HDMI-ARC signal. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

You would need some sort of HDMI switch, one which passes through the HDMI-ARC signal. 

That’s the piont… and as far as I know there’s no device with these specs. It would have to be a Switch with two HDMI OUTPUTS and one INPUT… all of them eARC ready. 
There‘s only one device I know that could fit for @JPeesh .

The FeinTech VAX04201 can handle two displays and the Sonos Arc. But source devices also have to be connected to the switch for using their video output on both devices. 
https://feintech.eu/en/products/vax04201-hdmi-earc-pass-matrix-switch-4x2-fur-soundbar?_pos=1&_sid=e86153845&_ss=r

That’s the piont… and as far as I know there’s no device with these specs. It would have to be a Switch with two HDMI OUTPUTS and one INPUT… all of them eARC ready. 
There‘s only one device I know that could fit for @JPeesh .

The FeinTech VAX04201 can handle two displays and the Sonos Arc. But source devices also have to be connected to the switch for using their video output on both devices. 
https://feintech.eu/en/products/vax04201-hdmi-earc-pass-matrix-switch-4x2-fur-soundbar?_pos=1&_sid=e86153845&_ss=r

I didn’t read it that way.  I read the OP as wanting to connect two HDMI-ARC ports from two sources to a single Sonos Arc and switch between the two.  There are dozens of those that will handle HDMI-ARC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@jgatie 

I have been reading the posts concerning this subject, but I am still confused and I am hoping for some help. I have a Sonos Arc with sub and Era 300s for surround in my theater room. I also have both a new tv and new projector that both support eARC.  I would like to connect both to the Sonos Arc, but for the life of me I cannot understand which switcher I need.  Do I need and HDMI extractor?  I just want to get the complete sound (including Atmos) from both devices to the Arc.  Thank you in advance for the help.

As the thread headline and also the description of @JPeesh sais, he wants to connect a TV and a projector via HDMI ARC to Sonos Arc. These devices use HDMI INPUTS with ARC. So on the other side you need a HDMI ARC OUTPUT as the Sonos Arc itself has got. 
And such a switch offering that and also including a HDMI ARC INPUT  to connect the Sonos Arc to isn’t a usual thing.

Have you got an example for one of the dozen devices you ment? I suppose they are someway different. 

I have looked at the Feintech and it seems to be a little more than I need...I think.  I have a Samsung tv with eArc to my Sonos Arc system.  When I want to watch movies, my projector screen lowers in front of the Tv. With only one HDMI input, the Arc cannot connect to both devices.   I do have a PS5, but  it is directly connected to the projector through its HDMI input.  The projector has an eARC port that I would like to connect to the Sonos.  In my ignorance I thought there my be some type of HDMI Y splitter cable that I could connect to the soundbar that would act as a passthrough for the full eARC signal.  However, searching for this has led me down a rabbit hole of switches, none of which I fully understand.  I think it is just more complex that I realized.  What I do realize is that I do not need upscaling or downscaling or conversion because the devices both have the eARC technology.  I only need the audio to the Sonos. Is there a specific recommendation?  Thanks again and I apologize if I am not clear.

@jgatie

As the thread headline and also the description of @JPeesh sais, he wants to connect a TV and a projector via HDMI ARC to Sonos Arc. These devices use HDMI INPUTS with ARC. So on the other side you need a HDMI ARC OUTPUT as the Sonos Arc itself has got. 
And such a switch offering that and also including a HDMI ARC INPUT  to connect the Sonos Arc to isn’t a usual thing.

Have you got an example for one of the dozen devices you ment? I suppose they are someway different. 

https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-HDMI-Matrix-60Hz/dp/B07Z4PZMLP/ref=sxin_13_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.3f105dd1-731e-46ec-8a78-5849a8226882%3Aamzn1.sym.3f105dd1-731e-46ec-8a78-5849a8226882&crid=YW5YW0G7TZF5&cv_ct_cx=hdmi+switch+supports+arc&keywords=hdmi+switch+supports+arc&pd_rd_i=B07Z4PZMLP&pd_rd_r=ad2b7156-bfae-4b8d-947a-7b8d69552d14&pd_rd_w=CpzgJ&pd_rd_wg=702Bl&pf_rd_p=3f105dd1-731e-46ec-8a78-5849a8226882&pf_rd_r=5DDNH6YZSK4YZ732AM5Y&qid=1705683266&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=dhmi+switch+supports+arc%2Caps%2C94&sr=1-1-364cf978-ce2a-480a-9bb0-bdb96faa0f61-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&psc=1

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@jgatie

This one you linked to just works as the usual matrix / switch devices. 
It has got only one output with ARC (also not eARC). The second output doesn’t support ARC at all. And an input supporting eARC also is missing. Digital Audio out is limited to optical. 

Sadly it’s really such difficult as I said… As far as I know there even are just the FeinTech VAX04101 and VAX04201 and the HD FURY Arcana supporting a HDMI Input with eARC. But I never found a 2x1 Device as described above that has got two HDMI outputs and one input all of them supporting eARC. 
And THATS exactl@JPeesh would need. 
Imho the issue connecting two devices with eARC HDMI OUT switchable to the Sonos Arc or Beam2 can’t get a solution at the moment. 
You just can plug in and out HDMI cable what I really DON‘T recommend as an every day solution.