Skip to main content

Hi. I’ve inherited an Amp and managed, eventually, to get it updated and connected to Wi-Fi. Both are showing on the App with the Amp as surround speakers. Because they are in a room far way from the router I didn’t connect both to it using Ethernet. Also the existing (Cambridge Minx Mini 11 - 8hms) speakers are already mounted on the wall. So is the Beam. It would mean physically disassembling. They are both Wi-Fi enabled. The Amp volume controls the Beam volume so there is connectivity.

it seems odd in this day and age you have to hard wire products to connect?

Needless to say no sound from the speakers. 

Also I’ve noticed the Music Playback ‘Full’ setting has now disappeared from the Surround setting in the current App update?

Is it a Connect:Amp like in the title, or an Amp?  If it’s a Connect:Amp, it needs to be hardwired to the router or the Beam to use as surrounds, because the Connect:Amp design predates the 5 GHz WiFi needed for the direct wireless connection between the soundbar and surrounds.  

Yes, I was abbreviating. OK, so is it one or the other I.e Beam or Amp or both? Some sites are saying both? Either way I’d have to unfix the Beam from its bracket &/or disconnect the Amp from the speakers! Odd because it obviously has made a connection. Also I had the most dreadful time getting the Amp to connect to the network & update.. plugged into the router at that stage. I fear if I switch it off a move it it’ll disappear from the App again!

BTW the full/music playback suddenly appeared on the App just now! 

Yes, I was abbreviating. OK, so is it one or the other I.e Beam or Amp or both? Some sites are saying both? Either way I’d have to unfix the Beam from its bracket &/or disconnect the Amp from the speakers! Odd because it obviously has made a connection. Also I had the most dreadful time getting the Amp to connect to the network & update.. plugged into the router at that stage. I fear if I switch it off a move it it’ll disappear from the App again!

The reason you had to connect via Ethernet is because the firmware was too out of date.  That’s normal if it hasn’t been used for a while.  As far as the connection is concerned, here’s a support page: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-up-connect-amp-as-surround-speakers

The reason you had to connect via Ethernet is because the firmware was too out of date.  That’s normal if it hasn’t been used for a while.  As far as the connection is concerned, here’s a support page: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-up-connect-amp-as-surround-speakers

The ‘instructions’ infer that all must be connected, Inc speakers, and to the router just to simply enable surrounds?!  As I said I can’t bring the speakers through the house as they’re fixed to the wall and the cables embedded.  And it also means unscrewing and disconnecting the beam from its bracket & tv. It’s clearly not a goer. Shame. Well it was free.