Skip to main content

Hello

I have Sonos Arc and I have Optoma projector. 

I have connected everything correctly and they both work correctly, independently.

When I try to get the audio from Arc instead of the project itself I start to face compatibility issues. I contacted Optoma and they have been working from their end to find a resolution. Last week they sent me this email regarding the issue:

“Thank you for your patience in this matter, we are working diligently but we would also like provide you more depth. The eARC compatibility issue between Optoma’s UHZ66 and Sonos ARC is the result of unconventional CEC timing by the Sonos ARC. Optoma has attempted to “compensate” (workaround) for the timing with limited success yet continues to be work in progress. We strongly recommend reporting this issue to Sonos (as well). We will provide an update to this situation in the coming weeks.”

I need help on this issue. is there anyone from the Arc product development team that can advise on this CEC timing issue? Can it be resolved with software update?

Seems odd. Why does Sonos work properly with every other ARC/eARC implementation out there, but fails on this single one?

In any case, the only Sonos employees that read this forum and respond are Forum Moderators, I have never seen an engineer respond here, no matter what the issue. Your best bet, most likely, is to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. Doing so will likely have a higher chance of it escalating to the appropriate level of support, and if needed, to engineering. 

I had the same info from Optoma about the Beam (gen 1). Plus “This seems to be the only Soundbar with the issue. LG ATMOS, Vizio ATMOS, and Samsung ATMOS Soundbar work without issue.”

I have to unplug and replug the hdmi cable every time I turn the system on for the HDMI-ARC audio to start working  

If you do get a response from Sonos please post it here. 

What is the actual issue?

For me - I have to unplug and replug the hdmi cable every time I turn the system on for the HDMI-ARC audio to start working. Once I do it will be all fine until things are turned off again. Tried every combination of CEC settings on projector and source but nothing helps. Given the number of forum posts about flaky HDMI ARC connections with Sonos soundbars and every system under the sun I suspect Optoma are probably onto something as to the cause. 

For me - I have to unplug and replug the hdmi cable every time I turn the system on for the HDMI-ARC audio to start working. Once I do it will be all fine until things are turned off again. Tried every combination of CEC settings on projector and source but nothing helps. Given the number of forum posts about flaky HDMI ARC connections with Sonos soundbars and every system under the sun I suspect Optoma are probably onto something as to the cause. 

Do you have any other devices connected to your projector by HDMI?  CEC is the communication between devices connected by HDMI (not just HDM Arc).  There have been cases where a TV or projector will get a communication from a connected device (maybe even just a ping of sorts) that impacts the connection between Sonos and your TV.  You can test this by disconnected the other device(s)  or  by turning off CEC on your other device.  In some cases, a CEC blocker is needed to fix the issue.

I’m not saying this is definitely your issue, but it has occurred before.

Try this: disconnect all HDMI cables from the projector, then power down ARC and the projector for at least two minutes. Next, power up both. Wait until both have finished their reboot, then connect the HDMI cable between ARC and the projector. ARC and the projector will work out some communication details. After ARC and the projector finish the details, plug-in other HDMI devices (if any) to the projector.

CEC is a mixed blessing. On one hand it can allow the user to drop a disc into a player and CEC will tell appropriate units to power-up and select inputs. The disc will simply play. But, there can be mischief. One of my favorites is the middle of the night cable box update. After the update is complete, as a convenience to the user, the cable box will switch ON. CEC will then assume that the user wants to watch TV … . When I end a viewing session, I always mute ARC. At least the TV will be playing silently if the cable box triggers a TV session. A CEC Blocker gives you some control over the mischief. You may need to experiment where you insert the Blocker.