Skip to main content

Hi all, 

Hoping to get some help with this, as I’ve been banging my head against the wall with no luck.  Incredibly frustrated with how borked this process still seems to be years after the fact.  

I’ve been running a surround sound system in my home for the past 5 years, mostly without issues, which consisted of a Sonos Beam, with two Sonos One SL speakers acting as the surround speakers.  After the most recent Sonos app update, all three speakers disconnected from the Sonos network, which prompted this mess.  

Effectively, after opening the new app, all my devices were missing, and the Sonos app claimed it could not find my system on the network anymore.  (Network SSID and settings have remained unchanged.  I have a router which does a dual-band network - 2.4 and 5.0 gHz - under the same name, which worked previously with our Sonos system prior to the app update).  

I’ve been able to re-add my Beam and *one* of my Sonos One SL speakers, using an Ethernet cable to connect to my router directly for the setup process.  However, for whatever reason, my last Sonos ONE SL speaker refuses to connect to the system.  Here are some interesting things that I’ve noticed: 

1. Attempting to connect to this one speaker with a wired ethernet connection will, for whatever reason, result in the Audio PIN chime NOT playing. (For troubleshooting, this is the same Ethernet cable used as with the other Sonos One SL speaker, which has managed to connect, plugged into the same slot on the router, and in a different slot). This results in the app (appropriately) stating that it cannot detect the pin chime, which makes it then ask me to try an Ethernet cable connection (already plugged in).  Eventually, the process fails and the app tells me to power-reset the speaker and to try again. 
  2. Attempting to connecting to this one speaker WITHOUT a wired ethernet connection (i.e. wireless), results in the Audio Pin chime playing.  The app detects that it’s heard the pin and then attempts to add the speaker to my system.  After a few minutes, it will then “connect” to my system, but note that it if I do not see in my system settings, to unplug and replug the device to finish setup.  A few things can happen here: 
    • After closing that last notification, the app will then immediately re-open a window to show that it can “detect” a new Sonos One SL speaker again.  It will go through the entire process as noted in (2), but this time, it will eventually state that it cannot connect to my WiFi network, which it will list as “” (i.e .blank).  It will then state that it will try to connect to the speaker’s network, which again it shows as “”; this will eventually fail out, and the app will tell me to unplug and plug the speaker in again to try the process over. 
    • It will restart the process, this time asking me to press the sync button at the back of the device when it’s ready (same as above in (2)).  It will again play yeti audio PIN chime, which will connect the device to the network - only to again give me the same failure notification as at the end of (2).  

The only thing I haven’t tried yet is disconnecting all of my Sonos devices listed above again, and this time starting with the one speaker that isn’t working, to see if does anything different.  I’m currently trying to get a hold of customer support before I do this, just to see if they can use my submitted diagnostics report before doing this one more time. 

Anybody have any other suggestions?  It’s incredibly disheartening to no longer have our previous surround sound system working given how much we used it.  

Do not switch off your Beam and working One SL to then try to setup your factory reset One SL - as that will likely create a separate (split) Sonos System. So don’t take that route.

I would suggest trying this…

Switch off your router and all your Sonos devices for 30 seconds+ and if practicable wire the "Beam" to the router/LAN and then power on the router and Beam only.

When the Beam is up and running/online get the latest Sonos App installed in your mobile device (as released in the last day or so) - and available here: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads?language=en_US and just check for any updates… if the Beam shows as having any bonded ‘ghost’ surrounds installed, then remove those surrounds.

Just for good measure sign ‘out’ and ‘in’ again on the Sonos App.

With the Beam showing in your Sonos App (important), now factory reset your non-working Sonos One SL - do not wire it to the LAN and use the "Add product" option in ‘Settings/System’ to add it back to your system. Hopefully it will now complete successfully (Give the speaker a different ‘room name’ to your Beam and other One-SL product.

Now bring the other ‘working’ Sonos One SL online and hopefully all three speakers (with different room names) will be present and showing in the Sonos App.

It’s then just a case of going into the App ‘Settings/System/ Beam Room]’ and bonding the two surrounds back to your Beam.

If that doesn’t work for you, it maybe best to first reproduce any issues you encounter, then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve the matter.

Lastly check your App network settings to ensure your router credentials (SSID/Password) are present in the App and if so, you can then uncable the Beam and hopefully the HT setup will now run on your routers 2.4Ghz WiFi signal.

Hope that suggestion works for you. 👍

Hi all, 

Hoping to get some help with this, as I’ve been banging my head against the wall with no luck.  Incredibly frustrated with how borked this process still seems to be years after the fact.  

I’ve been running a surround sound system in my home for the past 5 years, mostly without issues, which consisted of a Sonos Beam, with two Sonos One SL speakers acting as the surround speakers.  After the most recent Sonos app update, all three speakers disconnected from the Sonos network, which prompted this mess.  

Effectively, after opening the new app, all my devices were missing, and the Sonos app claimed it could not find my system on the network anymore.  (Network SSID and settings have remained unchanged.  I have a router which does a dual-band network - 2.4 and 5.0 gHz - under the same name, which worked previously with our Sonos system prior to the app update).  

I’ve been able to re-add my Beam and *one* of my Sonos One SL speakers, using an Ethernet cable to connect to my router directly for the setup process.  However, for whatever reason, my last Sonos ONE SL speaker refuses to connect to the system.  Here are some interesting things that I’ve noticed: 

1. Attempting to connect to this one speaker with a wired ethernet connection will, for whatever reason, result in the Audio PIN chime NOT playing. (For troubleshooting, this is the same Ethernet cable used as with the other Sonos One SL speaker, which has managed to connect, plugged into the same slot on the router, and in a different slot). This results in the app (appropriately) stating that it cannot detect the pin chime, which makes it then ask me to try an Ethernet cable connection (already plugged in).  Eventually, the process fails and the app tells me to power-reset the speaker and to try again. 
  2. Attempting to connecting to this one speaker WITHOUT a wired ethernet connection (i.e. wireless), results in the Audio Pin chime playing.  The app detects that it’s heard the pin and then attempts to add the speaker to my system.  After a few minutes, it will then “connect” to my system, but note that it if I do not see in my system settings, to unplug and replug the device to finish setup.  A few things can happen here: 
    • After closing that last notification, the app will then immediately re-open a window to show that it can “detect” a new Sonos One SL speaker again.  It will go through the entire process as noted in (2), but this time, it will eventually state that it cannot connect to my WiFi network, which it will list as “” (i.e .blank).  It will then state that it will try to connect to the speaker’s network, which again it shows as “”; this will eventually fail out, and the app will tell me to unplug and plug the speaker in again to try the process over. 
    • It will restart the process, this time asking me to press the sync button at the back of the device when it’s ready (same as above in (2)).  It will again play yeti audio PIN chime, which will connect the device to the network - only to again give me the same failure notification as at the end of (2).  

The only thing I haven’t tried yet is disconnecting all of my Sonos devices listed above again, and this time starting with the one speaker that isn’t working, to see if does anything different.  I’m currently trying to get a hold of customer support before I do this, just to see if they can use my submitted diagnostics report before doing this one more time. 

Anybody have any other suggestions?  It’s incredibly disheartening to no longer have our previous surround sound system working given how much we used it.  

I basically haventhe same exact problem with an Arc, Sub, and two One SLs. Can’t get that last One to connect.