Answered

Cannot add surrounds to Beam

• 8 March 2021
  • 8 replies

I'm not able to add my surrounds to the beam. All devices are listed in my system but when I try to add anything to the beam I get an error "there was a problem adding your surrounds. Check the network connection and make sure your products are powered on".

I've tried factory resetting just the SL surrounds and then all devices, but that has not helped. 

Not sure what else to try, please help

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 8 March 2021, 04:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Do you have any of your Sonos speakers wired to your router? Is Wi-Fi enabled in the Beam’s settings in the Sonos app? Have you tried rebooting your router?

Hi, thanks for helping!

- Everything is on wifi

- wifi is enabled for the beam in the Sonos app

- I have rebooted my router

I notice when the adding of surrounds fails I need to unplug them / restart them before they reappear in the system devices list (on the Sonos app). I'm also having trouble with my sub connecting to the beam again now that I've factory reset it but it looks like the same issue as the surrounds so hopefully solving forone will solve both. 

Userlevel 7

Can you wire your Beam or any other Sonos speaker (except for the surrounds) to your router with an ethernet cable?

I have a play:1 I could wire to the router, but not the beam unfortunately. Would that help?

Userlevel 7

Yes, try the Play:1.

Ok but what am I looking for with the play:1 though? All devices "work" via wifi including the beam and SLs I want to add as surrounds (they can all stream audio). The problem I'm having is connecting sub + surrounds to the beam.

Sorry I think I am missing something

Userlevel 7

Wiring a speaker to your router creates a SonosNet mesh network that can improve the network performance of your speakers and (hopefully) help you connect your Sub and surrounds to the Beam.

I went out and when I came home I started to set up the play:1 on a wired connection (thanks for explaining why, that makes complete sense!) the sub + surrounds are now somehow connected to the beam. I don’t know how that happened, they were definitely not showing as connected when I left.

Perhaps the issue was with the Sonos app rather than the Sonos hardware and the connection had been working the whole time but wasn’t being updated properly in the app? I have no idea. 

Anyway, @GuitarSuperstar, thank you very much for your patient help. Everything seems to be working as intended now.