Question

Can we use the Sonos Arc with acoustically transparent projector screens? And how high can we go with the arc?

• 21 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have a good amount of Sonos equipment now, but I want to upgrade my Playbar to an arc and upgrade my old 1080p tv to a giant projector. Due to my fireplace setup, I need to do a motorized projector screen and need to have any soundbar/center channel behind the screen, and therefore need an acoustically transparent screen.

Now, normal speakers would work great behind the screen, but will a Dolby Atmos Sonos Arc? Will that be okay?

Due to the somewhat high height of the mantel (5ft high in a 9ft room), is it also okay to place the Sonos Arc up that high?

Thank you all for your help.

p.s. - I know there may be e-arc concerns about this setup, I’m less worried about that for now, my main concern at the moment is the acoustically transparent screen and the placement height.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

My Arc is at 5’, and it’s really too high, so I would think your height is a concern.  You also want make sure your ceiling, and side walls, are good to bounce audio off of.  As far as the screen goes, I would think it would be fine, but not 100% sure.  If I were you, I would do this is in 2 stages.  1st replace the TV with screen and see how it works with the playbar ok.  Then go for the Arc, from Sonos or someone with a good return policy, and see if you like the way it works.

Badge

Thanks for the feedback! Have you looked at angling or tilting your Arc?

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/hffjql/how_to_maximise_height_channel_effect_on_arc_atmos/

They talk about it at that reddit link… tough to say how much that helps, but if that’s something you’re willing to try in your setup @ 5ft high, I’d love to hear your feedback.

No, I have not.  Heard a bit about it, but not tried it. Didn’t have access to much atmos content to really judge the quality of the audio, and haven’t played around with it since then.  Either way though, I’m happy with my purchase, as the sound has definitely improved over the playbar, IMO.