Answered

Beam only Stereo PCM 2.0?

• 9 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

New Beam Gen 2 and Sub Gen 3 owner -- my first Sonos speakers.

My Apple TV 4K is connected to my Samsung 6100 TV via HDMI. The Beam is connected from the TV via the dedicated ARC HDMI port. HDMI-CEC protocol (Anynet+) is turned on.

I’ve confirmed through the Sonos app that when watching TV I seem to only get Stereo PCM 2.0 output, when I believe I should be getting some kind of virtualized surround output. Am I missing something? Or misunderstanding?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 9 February 2022, 16:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Is this link your TV user manual?

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201511/20151111163447348/ENG-NMDVBEU-1.110.pdf

If so, from a quick glance through, perhaps try setting the audio-out to Dolby Digital Plus and switch off the TV’s in-built speakers, as it mentions this information on page 97:

‘Some digital TV programmes provide 5.1-channel Dolby audio. This TV converts Dolby audio to stereo audio so that it can play the sound through the TV’s speakers’

Userlevel 7

@Alderking What exactly are you watching on the Apple TV 4K?

Under the audio settings on the Apple TV, set Change Format to ON and set the Audio Format to Dolby Digital 5.1.

Badge

@Alderking What exactly are you watching on the Apple TV 4K?

Under the audio settings on the Apple TV, set Change Format to ON and set the Audio Format to Dolby Digital 5.1.

You’re a star! That solved it -- thanks so much. And now I’m TRULY impressed with how good the Beam and Sub sound together!!