Skip to main content

Beam gen 2 to Panasonic TV (hdmi ARC) and Chromecast 4.0

• 21 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Hello, first of all I would like to say sorry for my poor english skill… I will try my best to let You understand me.. 

I just bought Sonos Beam (gen 2) and have some problems with sound quality. 

My setup: 

• Sonos Beam gen 2 
  • 2 x Sonos Symfonisk (bookshelf) (atm. unpaired) 
  • TV: Panasonic TX-50CX680E (without eARC / but with “normal” ARC) 
  • Chromecast 4.0 (google tv) 

So… 

When Im using apps FROM tv system (Netflix-Panasonic) everything seems to be ok (i got “dolby” at Sonos App) 

When Im using Panasonic player (movies from USB stick) everything seems to be ok too (i got “dolby” at Sonos App) 

BUT

when I’m using same movies from chromecast ( Netflix-Chromecast) i got only stereo pcm 

I heard that there are problems with chromecast and Sonos but my question is how to fix it? 

I can change Chromecast to newest Apple TV 4k but will it fix this problem ? (i wouldnt like to spend money just for nothing… ) 

Thanks for your answers :) 

• Filip 

Ps. I did try to use my MacBook pro (lat 2017) → USB C / HDMI cable → Panasonic TV and this setup is not working too (only PCM stereo) 

Chromecast seems to use DD+, which most older TV's do not pass through via HDMI-ARC. Somehow this results in the Beam only getting stereo.

Chromecast seems to use DD+, which most older TV's do not pass through via HDMI-ARC. Somehow this results in the Beam only getting stereo.

Any alternatives? newest Apple TV or Fire stick 4k max? 

On my new TV I get surround from an Nvidia Shield, KPN settopbox and PS5. On my older TV I got surround from an Apple TV 3  an (after some fiddling) a PS4.

I don’t have the exact same set up, but do have a 680B and use FireTV 4K Max. I do have a Beam Gen 2.

in the chromecast thingy can you set the audio output to a specific setting?

I have exactly the same scenario that you describe if I leave the FireTV audio set to “Best Available” it does not seem to negotiate Dolby Digital.

If I set the audio output of the FireTV to be Dolby Digital 5.1 I then get surround sound 5.1 and this is shown in the Sonos App.

try different settings as mentioned here….

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/10110321?hl=en-GB

hope this helps

Also, not sure if swapping to Apple TV 4K or FireTV 4K Max will be the outcome you are hoping for.

I tried the AppleTV 4K and it will not supply ATMOS as it seems to only support ATMOS over eARC.

FireTV 4K Max does not pass ATMOS on Panasonic via DD+, Disney Plus is only HD for some reason.

there does not seem to be a perfect solution in this price point

thanks for the answers… I did try another sound settings at chromecast but it’s not working (i read there is problem with sonos and chromecast). 

I think I will give a try to Fire stick 4k max or ATV…

Btw. Is it possible to “bypass” my Panasonic tv with Apple tv → Sonos Beam via Airplay? Will it give me a better sound quality? :) 

Thanks. 

I have not tried AirPlay from ATV to Beam, but Mac to AirPlay was a pain as the Mac dropped the connection after a period of not being used 10-15 minutes as a complete guess and I would have to go through the process of disabling it and re-enabling it😩 but this was the same behaviour on an HomePod I had for a couple of weeks before I sold it.

not sure if ATV works in exactly the same way, AirPlay seems to be designed as a temporary connection, at least in my testing and scenario