Answered

beam gen 2 and samsung tv disconnect from each other over night

• 6 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Hi all

i purchased two Christmas presents for my self, a Samsung S90CA 55” OLED tv and Sonos Beam Gen 2. I went with products without hesition as I already own these manufacturers and have done so for many years.

The tv is fantastic as is the Sonos “BUT” like so many people I have an issue with keeping connection between the two.

Ii have I have followed both the instructions and read the forums. I have tried the original and expensive hdmi leads and tried only having the beam connected. I have run diagnostics checks from both sides. When the fault is apparent the Sonos app tells me the hdmi is not connected.
Everything works brilliantly, the Sonos app remote, the Samsung app remote both doing what they should, being able to switch between streaming music and the switching back to the tv via my phone all works great “UNTIL” I turn the tv off for the night, the next day I turn the tv on and the sound bar won’t work with the tv until I pull the power lead from the back and plug it back in, seconds later I have the tv playing through Sonos. It will work with streaming apps tho just not the tv  until it’s been unplugged. That’s a bit crap!

Am I missing something? Or is there something else I need to do?

icon

Best answer by ratty 6 January 2024, 18:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Is the TV entirely powered off at night, or is it left in standby?

Standby 

Have you tried the setup with eARC ‘off’ in the Samsung TV settings, so that it just uses an ARC connection to the soundbar instead? Some users have reported success doing that with some Samsung TV models.

Apparently this matter is already being looked into by Sonos & Samsung, but the above suggestion may perhaps help in the meantime.

If no luck with the suggestion, then maybe try an optical link to the TV instead, using the supplied Sonos optical adapter, but you may need to setup your TV remote to work with the Soundbar… see this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/control-sonos-home-theater-with-your-tv-remote

This is typically caused by a CEC fight, due to kit connected to the other HDMI ports. Does the Beam connection not survive overnight if you disconnect everything else? 

Hi Ratty,Ken

I will try both your suggestions and come back, it maybe a couple days!

As I read through various threads (after the purchase) it appears this fault and similar has been around for quite sometime. You would have thought these issues would have been ironed out a long time ago.

Many thanks for super fast response and support 

FWIW I have a newish QE55QN90C, with a Beam/Gen2. It was periodically losing the Beam connection overnight, especially when powered right off. 

I disabled CEC in an ancient DVD player, and blocked CEC from the BT Box using a Lindy CEC-less adapter (there was no menu setting). Changed to leaving the TV in standby (0.5W -- a lot less than the Beam) and touch wood so far it’s behaved itself. Automatic source switching on the TV is now broken, but I can live with that.

Essentially the Beam has to tell the TV to switch modes and route audio and vol commands externally. If the state gets lost when the TV’s powered off or something else CECs the TV then problems arise. Perhaps the Beam isn’t spotting the TV powering up from cold and resending its CEC message, or maybe it does so before the TV is ready to hear it.

Thanks ratty, im going to read up a bit more on todays tech words.

I found a solution within the Samsung TV service menu. All I had to do was turn off InstantOn and Always Instant On Support. I haven’t had to get up and reset the Sonos all week!