Answered

Beam connection

• 19 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello ,

I have purchased a Beam speaker which I intended connecting to a ten year old Phillips tv . Without checking prior to purchase I thought the tv had an optical outlet . Now I find it doesn’t have one , but has a 3.5 digital audio out . My problem is how or can I connect this tv now to the Beam through the HDMI cord ? . I have the optical to HDMI adapter supplied by Sonos , but can’t connect to the 3.5 outlet . I don’t wish to purchase another tv with a hdmi arc connection .

Hope somebody maybe able to help . Kind regards , John .

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 20 December 2022, 01:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

@Johnmack

I assume it’s a coax output from the TV - similar to the one on the right of the attached image (except it’s output, rather than input).

If so, then see this converter on Amazon that will convert the connection to optical for your connection to the Beam, using the Sonos optical-to-hdmi adapter provided.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiNKFOR-Coaxial-Optical-Converter-Indicator/dp/B08HLZ1L2T

Note your TV sound output will likely be PCM stereo only, so you won’t get the full potential from the Beam but I’m sure will still sound good.

Hope vhat works for you, but please note I’ve never tried these converters, so can’t comment on how well they may work. There maybe others on Amazon/Elsewhere too, so I suggest doing further research aswell.

Badge

Hi Ken , 

Thankyou very much for a prompt reply , this certainly seems to be the answer to my problem . I appreciate that I will suffer a little loss in quality sound but it will certainly be better I’m sure than the TV speakers . 
Regards John .  ( In Australia ) .