Skip to main content

ARC Wall mount

I am looking to add an arc and two era 100 as rears to my living room and the arc would ideally be situated under my TV mounted on the wall.

I’ve found out that using the original sonos wall mount will reduce the bass significantly and was wondering if a non original wall mount would still allow the arc to recognise it’s on the wall and reduce the bass? 

tia 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

If memory serves, there is a magnet involved in the Arc’s mount, which I assume triggers the orientation circuitry or mount circuitry. It would be unlikely ( but not impossible) for a third party mount to have this feature. 

Badge +1

Yeah that was my thoughts but I guess what I’m asking is ,does the magnet and only the magnet trigger the arc into realising it’s been wall mounted or is it the angle it’s positioned?

You’d probably need to call in to Sonos for a definitive answer. And even a CS rep might not know. 

By the way, if the ‘original wall mount’ you’re talking about is for a PLAYBAR, my understanding is that it will not work with an Arc, magnet or not. 

Badge +1

no it’s for an arc 

I was unaware that there was more than one wall mount for an Arc from Sonos. So no ‘original’ wall mount, just the one. 

Badge +1

There are other brands that made them after Sonos hence the term “original”

Ah, I didn’t understand. I’d have been more likely to go with ‘Sonos’ versus ’Non-Sonos’. I’m substantially less familiar with third party products, so I’m of not much help there. 

Read through this thread.

Badge +1

It still leaves me wondering if I’m better off buying a non Sonos wall mount so as to keep the bass from being reduced as I like to feel the bass from my system.

From what I’m reading the bass reduction doesn’t compliment the arc at all and it sounds far superior if placed on a tv stand or console table etc 

Can’t get my head round why they would negatively impact there own sound quality just because the product is placed on the wall?? 

It still leaves me wondering if I’m better off buying a non Sonos wall mount so as to keep the bass from being reduced as I like to feel the bass from my system.

From what I’m reading the bass reduction doesn’t compliment the arc at all and it sounds far superior if placed on a tv stand or console table etc 

Can’t get my head round why they would negatively impact their own sound quality just because the product is placed on the wall?? 

If not viewed already, maybe see this YT video… it has some helpful information:

When ARC is attached to the wall bass is enhanced compared to ARC freestanding in front of the TV. -- this is the physics. Likely, SONOS is attempting to provide a balanced sound. Therefore ARC should reduce its bass output when placed in a more efficient room location (on the wall).

This is not a critique, but if you want a more aggressive bass output, removing the magnet as shown the video is something for you to consider. Only you know what sounds “best” (to you). In my opinion you should add a SUB or two. Likely, you will not appreciate Trueplay.

When ARC is attached to the wall bass is enhanced compared to ARC freestanding in front of the TV. -- this is the physics. Likely, SONOS is attempting to provide a balanced sound. Therefore ARC should reduce its bass output when placed in a more efficient room location (on the wall).

This is not a critique, but if you want a more aggressive bass output, removing the magnet as shown the video is something for you to consider. Only you know what sounds “best” (to you). In my opinion you should add a SUB or two. Likely, you will not appreciate Trueplay.

Agreed on this.  If bass is of great importance to you, then I would definitely add the sub to the setup.  If budget is a concern, then forgo the Era 100s for now and get the sub first.

Badge +1

I appreciate Trueplay with my Playbar and my ones but as I’ve no experience with the arc I’m just wanna make sure I’m not buying the wrong sound bar for as there is 3 to choose from 👍🏻

I have considered buying a ray or beam with a sub instead…

Badge +1

Agreed on this.  If bass is of great importance to you, then I would definitely add the sub to the setup.  If budget is a concern, then forgo the Era 100s for now and get the sub first.

Sounds like a good idea…my setup is minimalist so I was not wanting a sub on the floor though.Is there a recommended ideal position for the sub for optimum sound? I can maybe try and incorporate it to the room layout somehow 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I find nothing really lacking in the Beam’s sound in a smaller room but in a larger one, particularly if open-plan the Arc sounds far better.

I haven’t tried the Sub-mini but my Sub is pretty unobtrusive and there is no issue putting it on the floor. If you want to you can put it on a vibration reducing base (Try a kneeling pad and chunk of plywood before spending a bundle on one) but given the Sonos Sub’s design they are of far less use than on conventional subs that vibrate a lot more.

Optimum, such a slippery word. Some folks find putting the Sub on the floor in a corner is optimum for them. Other folks find the greatly boosted low frequencies and in some situations uneven sound levels not so optimum.

Some folks like the Sub against a wall at floor level, away from any corners as that gives less boost to the low frequencies and usually gives a more even sound.

I’ve seen a few that flop it flat and put it under furniture and seem to be very happy with the resulting sound.

Me, I have mine in a corner, set at 45 degrees so a port is aimed down each wall. My spot is open-plan so the walls it is against are only about six feet long. I do notice a bit of unevenness to the low frequencies if I move around the area but since 99% of my listening is done from one chair I have no issues with that.