Skip to main content

ARC resets its name back to default

• 23 January 2024
  • 4 replies

I have several speakers in my S2 app.  The only one that gives me a problem is the Arc that keeps defaulting back to “default room” every 7-14 days.  I do not have the speakers connected to HomeKit and I refuse to add the to HomeKit to apply a workaround for the renaming issue that is specific to HomeKit.   I’ve talked to support and the only reference they have to this problem is when the speaker is added to HomeKit.   Anyone else have this issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Mike_134 

No, I also just heard of this problem in combination with Apple home kit. 
Do you use any other to Sonos connected system like home automation that could cause a name conflict?

I do have an older speaker (play:5) that is in the old s1 app; however that speaker has been unplugged for about 2 months now. I never found a use case that makes sense to me for attaching the speakers to any home automation.  I the only thing I am doing is that it is attached via e-arc indirectly to an AppleTV that is my HoneKit controller.  

I think I’ve heard of it with non-Apple third party products, too, like Google Home, etc. Just not as frequently as Apple’s. 

I have never heard of Sonos software doing this on its own, but that doesn’t mean it is impossible, just extremely unlikely…and I’d think that Sonos Support would be able to ‘see’ the rename in the logs, if the diagnostic was generated close enough to the rename event. Which is much easier to type than do, I would expect…

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Mike_134

Ok, I thought you don’t use home kit at all, but if your AppleTV works as a home kit controller, I‘m absolutely sure that there you will find the reason. I think in someway there is a connection (perhaps via HDMI CEC) between home kit on AppleTV and the Sonos Arc. Maybe it’s caused by using Airplay from AppleTV to Sonos…