Answered

Arc + PS5 + Samsung QE65Q9FN = No Dolby Atmos

• 17 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

Set up: Sonos Arc, Sub (Gen 3), One + One SL paired rears (awaiting back order of 2 Era 300’s to replace as rear)

TV - 2018 Samsung QE65Q9FN (ARC only). Supports Atmos through Dolby Digital Plus.

I recently upgraded to the above Sonos setup from Gen1 Beam and I have been trying to get Dolby Atmos on streaming services for a few days. Finally managed to get Atmos showing in the Sonos app using a Firestick 4K Max to stream Netflix and Apple TV. It’s not showing for Disney+ or Prime TV but my understanding is this is because I don’t pay for the higher subscriptions on those; they are playing Dolby Digital Plus 5.1.

I have enabled Dolby Atmos on my PS5 and tried some games that support Atmos, such as GTA V and Hogwarts Legacy but I can only get Dolby Digital 5.1 rather than Atmos or even DD+. When I try to select it on my TV audio settings they are blanked out.

Does anyone know why I can’t get lossy Atmos on the PS5 with this set up. I understand without eARC I can’t get full Atmos but I don’t watch blue ray and only stream movies from netflix etc. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 17 March 2024, 22:50

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7

The PS5 uses Dolby MAT to play Dolby Atmos audio for gaming, so an HDMI eARC connection is required.

Ah ok thanks for your reply, that makes sense. 

Disappointing as I just bought the arc, sub and 2 era 300s for Atmos on PS5 and streaming. I didn’t know the differences between ARC, eARC and their capabilities at the time. 

I can’t upgrade my TV for a few years so from what I’ve been reading when trying to understand all this my options are;

Buy a HDFURY ACANA and I can get Atmos on all external devices without upgrading the TV.

or

Buy a different sound system, like the Samsung Q990C, that has a HDMI passthrough to get Atmos on external devices.

Is that correct?

Userlevel 7

Yes, this is correct.

Gutted, I much prefer the physical aesthetic and support longevity of Sonos. 

I can’t justify spending another £200ish on the HD Fury Arcana just to get Atmos on the PS5 when I’m already getting it, albeit lossy, on streaming apps and having spent nearly £2k on the immersive set with arc. 

The Samsung Q990c is £800 less than I’ve already spent even before the additional £200 on the Arcana. 

Such a shame the Arc doesn’t have HDMI passthrough