Answered

Arc + Moves + Sub?! Do they work together?

• 18 April 2023
  • 7 replies

We recently purchased the arc and sub which worked and sounded great together.

My fiancé then purchased 2 moves and paired those to the arc + sub but app wouldn’t allow the same room so we added them to “family room 2” and ever since then we cannot get all to work together with the Sub, the sub will just mute itself and will need to be removed and readded.  

When we ungroup the moves, the sub seems to work fine with the arc. Just wondering if the moves are not meant to be paired in this way? 

I realize you cannot pair just the moves to the sub but we do have the arc so in theory they should all work together, no?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 18 April 2023, 15:38

View original

7 replies

The Sub can only be ‘bonded’ to one room, you need to choose whether that’s the Moves, or the Arc. If it were me, I’d choose the Arc, as the Moves can, well, move out of range of the Sub. Which would cause issues. 

As I suspect you’ve found, when playing from the TV, and ‘grouping’ the Moves, there is a slight delay. However, when those same rooms are streaming music not from the TV, they’ll be in sync.

And, directly from the FAQ on the sales page:. Sub will not pair with Move, Roam, Port, or Connect.

Thanks for your response, got it. because we also have the ARC I took the FAQ statement as the moves would need a sound bar to pair with the sub (which we have) vs just pairing directly to the moves. 

We were just hoping we could pair all 4 together for the biggest impact in sound (probably not even necessary given how powerful the arc and sub are together) but just wanted to make sure we weren’t missing something. 

Soooo, just to confirm, there is NO way to have the arc, moves AND sub all grouped to 1 room and playing in sync (Minus the slight delay)?

Thanks for your response, got it. because we also have the ARC I took the FAQ statement as the moves would need a sound bar to pair with the sub (which we have) vs just pairing directly to the moves. 

We were just hoping we could pair all 4 together for the biggest impact in sound (probably not even necessary given how powerful the arc and sub are together) but just wanted to make sure we weren’t missing something. 

Soooo, just to confirm, there is NO way to have the arc, moves AND sub all grouped to 1 room and playing in sync (Minus the slight delay)?

You can setup the Arc + Sub as one Sonos room, and the pair of Moves as a second Sonos room.  Sonos rooms can play different audio, or be ‘grouped’ temporarily to play the same audio source.  If that source is streaming audio, the two rooms will play in sync.  If the source is TV audio, the Arc+Sub room will play the audio immediately to stay in sync with the video, while the 2 Moves room will be slightly delay for network buffering purposes.

You can setup the Arc + Sub as one Sonos room, and the pair of Moves as a second Sonos room.  Sonos rooms can play different audio, or be ‘grouped’ temporarily to play the same audio source.  If that source is streaming audio, the two rooms will play in sync.  If the source is TV audio, the Arc+Sub room will play the audio immediately to stay in sync with the video, while the 2 Moves room will be slightly delay for network buffering purposes.

Yea we were doing that but the issue we were having g was the sub muting itself. We had to unpair and repair to get it to work again but every time we grouped with the moves the sun would stop working. It’s powerful enough as it is, guess we didn’t need the moves. 

That certainly suggests some sort of wifi interference getting in the way as you use more available bandwidth to add new ‘rooms’.

That certainly suggests some sort of wifi interference getting in the way as you use more available bandwidth to add new ‘rooms’.

Helpful, thank you!!