arc and reciever

Userlevel 3

Just picked up new Sony Tv that has only 2 2.1 Hdmi ports and one of those is for the earc so it only leaves me one 2.1 for everything else… if I got a AV receiver and basically used it as a switcher would that work ? So plug in all my systems into the receiver then plug the receiver into the 2.1 port and then plug Sonos arc into the Earc slot … would that work ?

10 replies

You don’t need a receiver for this. Just an HDMI switch. Many come with a little infra-red remote to toggle between sources.

Userlevel 3

I’m worried about the picture and gaming quality suffering thru a cheap switch … appreciate the response… would it work with the receiver thou ?

I’m worried about the picture and gaming quality suffering thru a cheap switch … appreciate the response… would it work with the receiver thou ?

Digital signals don’t work that way.  You either get the whole picture, or you don’t.  Gradual deterioration of the signal simply cannot happen. 

Userlevel 3

Sounds like getting a receiver is just a waste of money if I’m just using it as just a switcher !!! Can’t believe Sony still only has 2 2.1 Hdmi … might just stick with my playbase and use the 2 slots for my PS5 and X … do you think getting a Arc and only using the digital like the playbase is worth it ?

Get a 4K/60Hz switch. They’re not expensive.

Userlevel 3

I just got a 4K/120 switch … TV arrives in a week .. hopefully it will work , I really want to experience Dolby Atmos !! Prolly will wait and see if the switcher will actually do what it is suppose to do, just don’t have a lot of faith in something that cost me $30 bucks … thanks again for the help 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

If you are planning on an ARC, I believe Arcana do a 4 port HDMI switch with eARC output (£220 ish), that's what I would choose.

If you are planning on an ARC, I believe Arcana do a 4 port HDMI switch with eARC output (£220 ish), that's what I would choose.

The OP doesn’t actually need eARC output on their switch/extractor - they will simply use the eARC port that’s already on their TV. It’s as @ratty mentions, they just need a 4K/60Hz switch - it will undoubtedly cost a quarter of the price mentioned (or less) and do the same thing.

Userlevel 3

I’ll look into it … thanks guys

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hopefully their new TV will pass everything through the eARC port unmolested then.