Skip to main content
Answered

Apple TV 4K and Sonos Arc

• 8 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone

Need some advice from people who know much more than myself about this!

I have recently purchased a Sonos Arc to use with my Apple TV 4K and Amazon Firestick 4K. I have a Sony KD TV and have plugged the Sonos Arc into its e-arc port and removed the Apple TV 4K that was in there and put that in another (non e-arc) HDMI port. Is that correct?

When I watch the new Netflix’s Society of the Snow film on my Apple TV it displays multichannel PCM 5.1 in the Sonos App but on Amazon Firestick it states Dolby Digital 5.1 and sounds louder. Which is the best format for sound quality?

On BBC iPlayer on Apple TV it generally shows Stereo PCM yet Firestick displays Dolby Digital plus 2.0. Which of these is better? I’m guessing Dolby Dogital?

The only way I can get the Apple TV to play in Dolby Digital is by going into the audio settings and turning off the auto setting but then if I want to play something in Atmos I have to go back in the switch this back to auto!!

Tthanks in advance and sorry if the answers are obvious - I’m a newbi to this. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

All of the major streaming services stream 5.1 audio using Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Digital. But because the Apple TV 4K uses a Dolby MAT encoder, it plays 5.1 audio as Multichannel PCM. Is one audio format better than the other? Not really. Although Multichannel PCM audio tends to be much quieter which means you have to increase the volume quite a bit to match the volume of Dolby Digital.

Make sure you set your TV to these settings for the best quality audio:

Digital Audio Out: Auto 1

Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus

Pass Through Mode: Auto

eARC Mode: Auto

Thanks for the advice. The only setting I didn’t have on my TV was Digital Audio Out which was set to PCM. 

Massive difference in volume between Dolby Digital 5.1 and multichannel PCM but from what you have said there isn’t another difference in quality. Just assumed anything with Dolby in front would be better!!

Dont know why Apple have done this really as it makes it very confusing. 

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.