Answered

ANYONE GETTING TIRED OF THE PROBLEMS WITH BEAM?

• 19 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Dialogue sync doesnt work,

“fights with the TV speaker”

alexa “can’t turn off” the TV. It’s the whole point of getting this speaker over any other fine quality speaker.

doesnt generate enough volume. (when connected to tv and you;re playing content from a computer.

cant use the S2 app for “all” features from the computer, need to do some from a phone… sorry, but that's ridiculous.

The Beam is a failure. I want my money back or have it replaced with another product.

Dont buy this product.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 19 May 2023, 12:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

the problems continue:
Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

seriously we should demand a recall or a fix

the problems continue:
Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

That’s not really anything to do with the Beam (directly) - it will likely be the case you have the CEC protocol enabled on the TV itself - otherwise control will revert back to the Beam if you try to step away to other outputs, like Bluetooth - this is usually the case for any brand of Receiver/HT attached to the TV’s ARC/eARC port.

Try it with CEC disabled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You seem to generalize your problems with the Beam.

”Dialogue sync doesnt work”

Please explain. Sonos can delay sound, but cannot expedite sound. What is the problem on what make and model TV?

”Fights with TV speaker”

It shouldn’t and mine doesn’t. When, how?

”Alexa can’t turn off TV”. When, how, what TV? Could this not be a set up problem, an Alexa problem or a TV problem? Please explain.

“Doesn’t generate enough volume”. Please explain. If the source volume is low, Sonos can only go so far……

“cant use the S2 app for “all” features from the computer”. For most people this is not a problem (why is it for you?) and Sonos does not treat this as a secret. Read up before you buy?

“Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth”. Switch off CEC for the moment. This is inconvenient and seems somewhat Sonos specific. Calling the Beam a “failure” for this doe s seem to go a bit far for me.

Dialogue sync doesnt work,

TV Dialog Sync works fine - note it will only ever slow/buffer the audio output for Sonos group-room playback. There’s no ‘flux capacitor’ to move the audio the other way.😀

“fights with the TV speaker”

alexa “can’t turn off” the TV. It’s the whole point of getting this speaker over any other fine quality speaker.

The power on/off features are part of the CEC protocol implemented by your TV manufacturer - not all manufacturers make/models of TV support power off for a variety of reasons - but there’s nothing Sonos or anyone else can do about this. Speak to the TV support desk as sometimes there maybe a ‘hidden’ TV Engineers menu that may allow you to enable the CEC power-off feature - but see what they say. Note it may invalidate the TV warranty if you tamper with such settings.

doesnt generate enough volume. (when connected to tv and you;re playing content from a computer

Likely a sound-card issue - consider changing the sound card in the PC

cant use the S2 app for “all” features from the computer, need to do some from a phone… sorry, but that's ridiculous.

You would need to be more specific but the Sonos App is a ‘remote’ controller for the speakers and it’s own built in Apps - it does not extend to controlling things on your PC - consider getting a one-for-all remote to perhaps generate your own macro’s for device/app control

The Beam is a failure. I want my money back or have it replaced with another product.

Dont buy this product.

To get your money back just return product to point of purchase within the time specified at the POS. if outside of that period you can perhaps simply sell it in on. Your small loss will perhaps become someone else’s gain. I’m sure there are many online who will happily take it off your hands at the right price.

My Beam works perfectly.  None of the problems seen happen with it.  Now it isn’t used as much because it is connected to the bedroom TV, but it gets enough use that these drastic problems would surface eventually. 

I agree with Ken, there appears to be some CEC problems going on, and in my experience, most CEC problems originate in the TV, not the peripherals.  FIrst suggestion for CEC problems is to reinitiate an HDMI handshake by unplugging at least the TV, if not every connected peripheral, for a couple minutes and then plugging them back in.