Answered

Advice on potential home theatre setup

• 5 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I’m in the process of wiring up an addition and was wondering if the setup in the below file would work or is overkill.  I’m looking to get either 4.1 without the Beam or 5.1 if possible with the Beam.  

Great Room

The idea would be to connect 2 in-ceiling and 2 in-wall speakers to 1 AMP for front left and right (1 wall and 1 ceiling for each channel), 2 in-ceiling and 2 in-wall speakers to 1 AMP for rear left and right, 1 Beam (not necessarily for center), and 1 Sonos Sub.  The space is 27’x20’ with a 17’ cathedral ceiling.  Any input or advice is appreciated! 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 5 January 2023, 18:22

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Your space is pretty large so I would go with an Arc instead of a Beam. Then add the Sub and two in-ceiling speakers slightly behind the sofa.

Thanks for the quick response!  

So eliminate the front in-ceiling and in-wall speakers as well as the in-wall for the rear?  I’ve read through a lot of threads on cathedral or higher ceilings with the Arc, just wasn’t sure how that would sound with the upward firing speakers and that high of ceilings.  

Userlevel 7

Yes, eliminate the front in-ceiling and in-wall speakers and the rear in-wall speakers. With the Arc setup I recommended, you cannot add any more speakers other than a second Sub for a maximum 5.2.2 setup.

You will not be able to hear any height channel effects from Dolby Atmos content on the Arc because of your high ceilings, but the larger size of the Arc will still fill the space better than the Beam IMO. But if you really want to hear some height channel effects (while sacrificing a wider soundstage from the Arc), go with the Beam (Gen 2).

Great, thank you for the advice!

If you have the capability to wore front, rear, and ceiling speakers, why are you wanting to use Sonos?  The main strength of using Sonos for a home theatre is that it can be setup wirelessly.  I love Sonos, but if had access behind walls and ceiling like this, it’s very unliking I would use Sonos.  I probably wouldn’t connect whatever system I got to the rest of my Sonos system via a Port, but not use Sonos for the system itself.

The main reason is a unified look and setup throughout the house as the rest of the system is Sonos.  I’m open to recommendations though.