Answered

Will eSony X85 or X8500 Series 4K TV Passthrough Dolby Digital 5.1 to SONOS Playbar?

• 9 March 2017
  • 4 replies

Hi Guys,

I am looking at purchasing a Sony X85 (also known as X8500 in some regions) 4K UHD TV and wondered if this panel will pass-through (via other HDMI ports - e.g. Blu-ray, Playstation, Xbox etc.) Dolby Digital 5.1 audio signal via the optical output port to SONOS Playbar. I didn't really want to invest in a HDMI/TOSLINK Switcher box and Smart-Remote for a new TV. I was hoping this 2016 panel would just plug and play!

I called Sony support and they advised it would pass-through.

Anyone got this setup to verify?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by AtterKing 9 March 2017, 12:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I have a Sony XD85 series and that passes through 5.1 no problem. I believe all recent Sony TV's pass through 5.1 though.
I have a Sony XD85 series and that passes through 5.1 no problem. I believe all recent Sony TV's pass through 5.1 though.

Thanks AtterKing. Have you tested for HDMI, Internal TV Tuner and Google Apps (e.g. NETFLIX, Plex etc.)?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Thanks AtterKing. Have you tested for HDMI, Internal TV Tuner and Google Apps (e.g. NETFLIX, Plex etc.)?

All four HDMI ports on my TV are capable of handling 4K and DD5.1. I currently have a Sky HD (STB), Apple TV (4th Gen), PS4 Pro and Xbox One S connected and all pass through DD5.1 (All are configured to output 5.1). The inbuilt Google apps on the TV, like Netflix and Amazon Video output DD5.1 without issue.

I don't use the inbuilt tuner so can't help there but wouldn't foresee any issue with it.

Sony TV's seem pretty good when it comes to DD5.1 pass through.

There are issues with dropouts though. PCM works fine but anything processed to 5.1 suffers with minor dropouts when initially switching to a device (or channel hopping within STB). Nothing major though.
Thanks for confirming this. Definitely committed to purchase. Thanks AtterKing!