Which to get first, Sub or Surrounds?

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post.
I will be purchasing a Sonos Beam in the near future with plans of building a 5.1 system (though I wish Sonos offered a 7.1). I will be building my system in steps ans wondering after getting the Beam should I go for sorrounds next or for the sub. Eventually I'll have both but in the meantime which would I benefit from more?
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
hi i have a beam as well i have gone for surrounds first it is amazing to be surrounded in sound movies and music have more detail
so i think it is more beneficial to do so before getting the sub
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Thanks Dom1da!
This pretty much what I was thinking. Not to mention it will take me a little longer to save for the sub as it cost more than several Ones or Play 1s. On that note which surrounds did you get. Really glad to hear you're enjoying your system.
Since you have a Beam, Play 1s would suffice for your use, it will save you some money you could put towards a Sub in the future. The Beam will handle voice control and Airplay 2 capability.
To add to this, the microphones on the Sonos one are actually turned off when used with as Surrounds with a Beam. So the only current difference between Sonos Ones and Play:1s in this scenario is aesthetics and cost.

The decision of which to go for first is really subjective. I personally am not as big on bass as other's might be, so surrounds is my first choice. However, there's also a part of me that wants to get the larger expense done first sometimes. No real wrong decision here.
Badge +7
+1 surrounds
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Thanks Dom1da!
This pretty much what I was thinking. Not to mention it will take me a little longer to save for the sub as it cost more than several Ones or Play 1s. On that note which surrounds did you get. Really glad to hear you're enjoying your system.

hi i got 2 Sonos one 1st gens's as i got them before i owned the beam. if you are just using them for surrounds go with 2 Play:1's . if you want to do something different in the future go with 2 sonos one's
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
.....However, there's also a part of me that wants to get the larger expense done first sometimes.....
YES... this is usually my mentality also. It's actually what prompted me to even post this question. Usually I go for the expensive purchase first but was curious what I might be missing in the meantime. Thanks for your input. Also for letting me know about the beauty of the microphones. If I were to go with us Sonos ones, was wondering how that would work.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Since you have a Beam, Play 1s would suffice for your use, it will save you some money you could put towards a Sub in the future. The Beam will handle voice control and Airplay 2 capability.
You actually addressed my very next dilemma. Ones or play 1
Badge +7
A set of Ones or P:1s would act exactly the same as surrounds, with the only exception being Alexa (and forthcoming Google Assistant) support.

If what you're asking is how that might work with Ones having microphones, in addition to your Beam. You can disable the Voice Assistant functionality on any/all of your devices that offer voice assistance.

If what you're asking is how that might work with Ones having microphones, in addition to your Beam. You can disable the Voice Assistant functionality on any/all of your devices that offer voice assistance.

Just to clarify, when using the Ones as surrounds with the Beam, the mics on the ones are automatically turned off. There is no option to enable or disable.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I would get the sub before the surround. As the beam is not great with bass. And really need help.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I would also argue for the Sub first. But I'm more of a music guy, so rounding out the frequency response of the main system would be more important to me than adding in surrounds. I have a Playbase and my next purchase will be the sub. Then I'll get an amp to handle the built-in ceiling rear speakers the prior owner installed in this house.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Guess what? Earlier today my wife saw me read this thread... again and she said "why not just get the wholevset at once. Problem solved." Smiles and walks away.
Thanks to everyone, I'm new here and this was my first post and I really like this forum.
Fortunately I no longer have this dilemma.
???
You married well 🙂
Badge +7
Indeed, what a fantastic thing for your wife to say!
Guess what? Earlier today my wife saw me read this thread... again and she said "why not just get the wholevset at once. Problem solved." Smiles and walks away.

I know this trick. She wants something. 😉
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Funny... but so true. lol