Answered

Which streaming device to get Atmos for Disney Plus?

• 10 September 2020
  • 10 replies

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 9 replies

Hi All,

I am based in the UK and have Sonos arc/sub/sirrounds with Samsung 55 Q9FN  (2018) ,  SkyQ and 4k Blu-ray. I am getting the HD FURY Arcana but would like to hear what you think the best streaming device would be to get Dolby Atmos for Disney +.  

I can get DD5.1 warching Disney + from SkyQ and I can even  get DD+ 5.1 through the Samsung TV app but no Atmos through either. 

Any suggestions gratefully received. 

Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 11 September 2020, 15:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I am beta testing the Arcana for HDfury. I have both Shield and ATV4K.

For Disney+, either box will do.

BUT if you have any use for Apple TV+ at all, only ATV4K has that.

Samsung TV ATV+ app does not give Atmos ATM, only certain LG models do.

Userlevel 7

A Roku Ultra can play Atmos content through the Disney+ app.

Badge +1

Thank you @GuitarSuperstar  and @ekwok for your responses - very much appreciated.  

It sounds like  any of  ATV4k or Shield or Roku ultra will do the trick.  I am not sure I need ATV4k (which although slightly better visuals is also much more expensive)  so will Roku Ultra or Shield be a better choice ?. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I don’t have any experience with Roku. 

Badge +1

I assume you meant Nvidia Shield - are their different types ?.

Badge +1

For the Roku , I can only see Roku Premier  on Amazon UK and not Roku ultra.   Maybe because I am in the UK?. Looks like it may be the same thing. 

Userlevel 7

Thank you @GuitarSuperstar  and @ekwok for your responses - very much appreciated.  

It sounds like  any of  ATV4k or Shield or Roku ultra will do the trick.  I am not sure I need ATV4k (which although slightly better visuals is also much more expensive)  so will Roku Ultra or Shield be a better choice ?. 

The Roku Ultra is definitely less expensive than the Apple TV, and if you wait for it to go on sale, you can usually get a really good deal. I bought mine for $50 on Black Friday. The only popular app that I can’t get Atmos audio on the Roku currently is Netflix.

Userlevel 7

For the Roku , I can only see Roku Premier  on Amazon UK and not Roku ultra.   Maybe because I am in the UK?. Looks like it may be the same thing. 

Here are the differences: https://www.roku.com/products/compare

Badge +1

Thank you again. So needs to be the Roku Streaming stick +.  On sale currently  too.

Userlevel 7

Thank you again. So needs to be the Roku Streaming stick +.  On sale currently  too.

According to this website, The Roku Ultra, Roku Streaming Stick+, Roku Express, and Roku Premier+ all can pass through Dolby Atmos audio on Disney+: https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/the-ultimate-dolby-atmos-guide