Answered

what type system really have?

• 28 October 2021
  • 8 replies

What do I really have here. Have the Play Bar and Two of the SL Ones. Was looking for a home theater type system to replace an older Bose 5.1 system.

thanks 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 1 November 2021, 14:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Not sure I understand your question, so I’ll answer with generalities.

Basically, what you have is equivalent, when set up properly, to a 5.0 system. The PLAYBAR has the three front speakers of right, center and left in it. The two One SLs, when properly “bonded” with the PLAYBAR using the Sonos controller (application on your mobile device) act as the left and right surround speakers.

The other two alternatives is you can have a 3.0 system, with just the PLAYBAR, with either two rooms, each with a Sonos One, or one room with a stereo pair of Sonos Ones.

To get the .1 you mention from your BOSE, you’d need to add a Sonos Sub. The PLAYBAR, of course, connects to the TV with an optical cable, and plays only a stereo or Dolby Digital signal, it can not process Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS. 

Does that answer your question?

Userlevel 7

A Playbar and two One SLs as surrounds is a 5.0 system. The Playbar is the center, front left, and front right channels. The One SLs are the left and right rear surround channels. Add a Sonos Sub to complete the 5.1 system.

Should I have bought the Arc instead of the playbar to get the home theater sound. 

Should I have bought the Arc instead of the playbar to get the home theater sound. 

No. They both do 5.0 sound in the same way when set up with Sonos speakers as surrounds. You need to tell us more about what sources you are trying to play and what exactly is happening.

What I am trying to do is duplicate the Bose system with the Sonos system. We rearranged the family room and I can not get the wires run thru the wall to connect the speakers. I have a Sony tv that is 2 years old. 

i got one of the Sonos one speakers as a Christmas present and thought go wireless. Then bought the play bar and then another Sonos one speakers thinking I would be able to hear, let’s say a train or race car sound going from one side of room to the other. 

thanks in advance

Userlevel 7

You need to add the Ones as surround speakers to the Playbar in the Sonos app by following these instructions:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US

You then need to play a 5.1 audio source through your system if you want to experience true surround sound.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The Playbar has the Front Right, Centre and Front Left speakers built into the one unit. That gives 3.0 sound capability. Bond your One’s, as explained already, as rear surrounds and you have a 5.0 system. Add a Sub and you have 5.1. If your previous system had a similar soundbar/rear speakers/sub arrangement, there’s your Bose replacement. 

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions.