What 4k disc player do you use?

• 14 August 2023
  • 9 replies

I really need some help figuring out which 4k disc player to get. Having trouble finding one.

Here is my setup:

• TV: LG B2 77” OLED
  • Sound: Arc + Sub Gen 3 + Ones
  • Streaming device: Apple TV does all the work here
  • Media usage: mostly streaming with occasional disc media (mostly BluRay kids movies + plan to get some 4k disc adult movies)

I’ve heard that some 4k players have issues with Sonos. For example one reviewer for the Sony X700M said Sonos systems uniquely have issues decoding DTX and thus resorts to inferior audio settings. This makes me nervous about Sonos and 4k players.

Necessary to have:

• I just want it to work and the surround to sound good. I don’t want to constantly have to worry about whether or not I need to go in and change settings on the TV or Sonos system based on whether I’m streaming or using the disc player or playing certain movies. It doesn’t necessarily need to be the best possible sound the disc/player can provide so if some default settings get good surround sound for pretty much all streaming+disc usage then I’m ok with that. Basically I just want to be able to turn on the TV and start watching something without having to worry about the audio quality being subpar. I’d be willing in rare cases to change settings but really I’d like to just “set it and forget it”.

Would be nice to have:

• Would be nice to be able to have the capability to fully utilize features on my TV (ex: Atmos, Dolby Vision, HDR10)
  • I don’t need streaming capability on the player
  • Lack of “clutter” (no ads, no apps, just a straight up disc player)
  • Ideally something in the <$300 range, but would be willing to spend more if needed

For those in a similar situation to mine, what players do you use?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

According to ratings.com the B2 won't pass through dts in any form but if I read it correctly it will pass through LPCM so you might have some joy with a Panasonic Bluray player which should convert DTS to LPCM in that case. I recall a thread where people struggled to get LPCM working so maybe ratings is incorrect. The Panasonic Bluray player typically get good reviews but are pricey and get even pricier to get Dolby vision. Perhaps you can ask about return policy and return it if it doesn't work.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

This is the thread I was thinking. As I thought the LG came up. Didn't reread it all to see how it wound up.

This is relates to Samsung but I posted mistakenly and can't delete it.

According to ratings.com the B2 won't pass through dts in any form but if I read it correctly it will pass through LPCM so you might have some joy with a Panasonic Bluray player which should convert DTS to LPCM in that case. I recall a thread where people struggled to get LPCM working so maybe ratings is incorrect. The Panasonic Bluray player typically get good reviews but are pricey and get even pricier to get Dolby vision. Perhaps you can ask about return policy and return it if it doesn't work.

Which specific Panasonic models would you recommend I consider?

Would I follow what this article talks about? (See “Step 2 Use PCM audio”) https://www.trustedreviews.com/how-to/get-dts-sound-on-sonos-arc-and-beam-4040661 Do the Panasonic players you recommend have this option shown of converting DTS → PCM? Is “PCM” in the Panasonic player actually “LPCM” which you mention? My understanding is LPCM is surround vs std stereo.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

That is showing the Panasonic sound menu where he changes DTS output to PCM, in step 2, to get multi channel PCM working. Googling the B2 it seems realitive new? so perhaps it will actually send multi channel PCM(LPCM) ok so understanding that would be a good start.

Certainly wait for more feedback from other posters there are some who might pipe up at some stage.

It unfortunate that most TVs don't passthrough DTS formats.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

As to which one, the 820 has a bit better build quality and Dolby vision but is pricey. I have the 420 which has the same hardware but cheaper build and no Dolby vision and yet still not what I would call cheap.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Here's the ratings review of the B2. If I read the Audio passthrough section correctly the b2 will pass through 7.1 LPCM.

Maybe others can check me?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b2-oled

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I bought a Samsung UHD 4k play, passes Dolby Atmos and converts DTS to Dolby Digital.

Most new 4k Blu Ray's I have bought recently have Dolby Atmos as main audio track, these play as 5.1 on my Playbar.

I'm still on S1, believe S2 can now support DTS?.

That is showing the Panasonic sound menu where he changes DTS output to PCM, in step 2, to get multi channel PCM working. Googling the B2 it seems realitive new? so perhaps it will actually send multi channel PCM(LPCM) ok so understanding that would be a good start.

Certainly wait for more feedback from other posters there are some who might pipe up at some stage.

It unfortunate that most TVs don't passthrough DTS formats.

Oh my gosh, I think I got it to work….

Ended up buying the Panasonic UB420-K per your suggestion and it arrived today. Tried setting DTS to PCM on the Panasonic and no dice. I saw “Stereo PCM” for Blu-rays w/DTS. Fiddled with various combinations of Panasonic audio settings for maybe 20 minutes. Still the same.

Decided to go into the LG audio settings. I went to Sound → Advanced settings → Digital Sound Output → Changed it from “Auto” to “Pass Through”. I then set the Panasonic settings back to what they used to be but still kept "DTS” as “PCM”.

And...wow it works...Blu-rays w/DTS 5.1 or 7.1 now show up as “Multichannel PCM 7.1”. I tried The Force Awakens Blu-ray which was DTS and Stardust which was DTS and they both were in surround sound and I could hear it (and confirmed on the app). 

I wanted to test other media sources just to see if the LG and Sonos swapped between the correct audio formats. I tried Rogue One via Disney+ which is Atmos and Dolby Atmos showed on the app. I then tried some YouTube videos and ones that seemed coded for 5.1 showed up as 5.1. I also tried The Expanse via Prime and I can’t remember exactly what format it was but it was definitely surround sound (Maybe 5.1, can’t remember...)

So ya, I think it works!

A few caveats...1) This was only for one night of testing and I'm hopeful that things will not change and stop working down the road, I’m hopeful it’s good going forward 2) this Panasonic 420 was an open box from Best Buy ($165!) so it’s possible one of the audio settings were changed with the original owner and not set back before I bought it. However, from what I could tell this didn’t seem to be the case. 3) Haven’t tried a 4k Blu-ray since I don’t have one yet, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't still work.

Thanks for you help!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Glad it worked out. Seems like you got a good price as well. I thought the Panasonic had pretty good upscaling as well.