Answered

Weird gurgling/popping noises with 1st gen Beam & Sony XBR-65x900e

• 5 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue:

I’ve had the same setup for over 3 years – for over 2 years I didn’t notice any issues, but for the last year or so I’ve been hearing strange sounds on 5.1 content, most noticeably when music is playing. It started around the time of the last firmware update on the TV (which can’t be downgraded), but the Beam may also have been updated around that time. The closest description I can think of is bubbles popping in water, like in a jacuzzi or a stream. It’s most noticeable during passages of sustained playing from strings & brass, and sort of pops away under the music.

The exact clip I’ve been using to reproduce the issue is the Disney intro at the beginning of The Ice Ace Adventures of Buck Wild on Disney+ (identical to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrE8Rr_9jhU except this YouTube clip is only stereo). The popping always starts as the strings start to build up around 6-7 seconds but then it gets more noticeable around the flourish at 11 seconds. The fireworks that start just afterwards mask the popping a little bit, but it’s still audible.

Setup:

• Sonos Beam (1st gen) with Play:1 surrounds.
  • Sony Bravia XBR-65x900e TV
  • Connection: HDMI ARC & Optical (Built-in TV speakers & Bluetooth work fine but are only stereo)
  • TV Digital Out settings: Auto 1 (compressed multichannel audio), Auto 2 (compressed multichannel audio. PCM works OK but is stereo only.
  • Apps: Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, Plex (both on Chromecast with Google TV and installed on the TV itself)

I’ve tried the following:

• Tested with 5 different HDMI cables and the Sonos Optical-HDMI adapter
  • Tested all the apps mentioned above on both the Chromecast with Google TV and installed on the TV itself.
  • Changed every sound-related setting on the TV (eg ClearAudio+, Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus etc etc) and on the Beam.
  • Factory reset the TV.
  • Factory reset all the Sonos speakers.
  • Unpaired the Play:1 surround speakers.

The only thing that stops the noise on the Sonos speakers with the XBR-65x900e is setting the TV output to PCM rather than the compressed multichannel options, however the PCM output is stereo only, which defeats the object of having the surround setup. I also tested the Beam on an 11-year-old TV without 5.1 support, therefore it didn’t display the issue, and of course there is no issue using the setup as speakers for music, as it’s also stereo. Unfortunately I don’t have access to any other soundbars to help me determine for sure if it’s the TV or the Beam causing the issue, and the Beam doesn’t detect any audio input when I connect the Chromecast directly to the Beam.

I’ve spoken to Sonos support several times, tried some troubleshooting steps and sent them some videos with the noises audible, but this didn’t really lead anywhere.

I spoke to Sony support, who just suggested a TV factory reset and then said it would have to be repaired, however I suspect that taking it to a repair centre would be a huge waste of time & money – I’m thinking if these sounds are artefacts from the audio compression then they’re far too noticeable to be acceptable, but it’s more likely a software issue.

I’m wondering if anyone has had similar issues with the Beam or any other soundbars, and/or with the XBR-65x900e or other TVs?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 5 April 2022, 09:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Is there any correlation with BEAM’s Volume setting?

@Crompers,

Why did Sony suggest their TV needed repairing? I take it from that they are ‘perhaps’ aware of the problem and are able to fix it. I would perhaps heed their advice and see if it resolves the issue.

Also you could simply try the Beam on another (or friends) TV, to see if the issue goes away. At least then you will be able to point a finger at which product is at fault. I suspect it’s the TV, simply by the fact Sony Support we’re suggesting to take it for repair.

Is there any correlation with BEAM’s Volume setting?

The volume of the popping sound increases & decreases in line with volume changes on the Beam, ie if I turn the volume all the way down I won’t hear any sound at all.

@Crompers,

Why did Sony suggest their TV needed repairing? I take it from that they are ‘perhaps’ aware of the problem and are able to fix it. I would perhaps heed their advice and see if it resolves the issue.

Also you could simply try the Beam on another (or friends) TV, to see if the issue goes away. At least then you will be able to point a finger at which product is at fault. I suspect it’s the TV, simply by the fact Sony Support we’re suggesting to take it for repair.

I’ve spoken to Sony Bravia support a few times - no disrespect to them, but like many support services the troubleshoooting steps tend to be quite limited before the options run out. It was pretty clear that the rep didn’t have any knowledge of this issue. This wasn’t always a problem so there’s a strong possibility it’s software-related.

With that said, as you say it makes sense to take the Beam to someone with a 5.1-capable TV and try it there, and maybe see if I can get someone to bring their soundbar over & connect it to my TV. This should narrow it down, but I’m still curious to know if anyone else has noticed the same issue.

Thanks for your suggestions!