Volume Control - Playbar and LG OLED TV

• 3 July 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I have just purchased an LG OLED TV model C8. I have connected my Playbar using TV optical out (and I also have Play 3 surrounds and a Sub). Everything is working fine except I can’t control the volume using the TV remote - it’s greyed-out. I can only control the volume using the Sonos app on my iPhone or iPad.

This is rather frustrating and inconvenient. Is there any way I can set things so that I can control volume with the TV remote. I was able to do this with my previous TV - a Samsung Smart Tv.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I think what you’re looking for is here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3444
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thanks Bruce but I have an LG TV, not Samsung. However I have subsequently found the solution for LG and their Magic Remote. Cheers.
What was the solution for the c8? The method that worked on last years model, doesnt work on my C8?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Care to share what you did?

Thanks Bruce but I have an LG TV, not Samsung. However I have subsequently found the solution for LG and their Magic Remote. Cheers.
Also would like to know. Worked for C7 not C8.
Userlevel 2
I too am experiencing the same frustration with controlling volume of my Playbase + Play 1 surrounds connected to a new OLED C8 with the Comcast Xfinity X1 remote. After eventually getting the highly touted LG WebOS to connect to the 4K/HDR compatible Xfinity XG1v4 box since the manufacturer (Dolby Labs) was not on the LG device list, most of the functions of the remote work expect volume/mute. In this day and age and with the expense of this tv I would go-was that a single remote operation would be a trivial task. A similar setup of a Playbar interfaces with a Visio E65 was seemless and took 10 min to complete. Does anyone at Sonos or on this community have any suggestions or this something to take up with LG?
You need to change the TV location to a country which allows the IR transmitter to work eg if the country is set to UK you cant use the magic remote to control your Sonos bar as it won’t transmit IR.

- settings
- general
I set mine to Germany (nb if you do this after setting your display you will need to go back and check your settings as the Country dictates default settings and so some will be reset)

You can then go ahead and setup your sound bar on the Tv ie

- press the home button
- choose device connection from the bottom banner
- choose soundbar and follow the prompts nb these will now offer a manufacturer option, I simply chose LG and type 1

You can then setup your SONOS as normal to receive the IR signal from the magic remote

A simple fix in the end but really annoying if you have already setup your input display settings as you have to go and check those again 😉
Nb you only need to do the above with the newer LG magic remotes ie I think the ones with the Netflix and Amazon buttons. Previous ones transmit IR even when set to UK location 😉