Question

Using SONOS Amp with AV receiver

• 15 September 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi All
I have Pioneer AV (non-ELITE) receiver .
I would like to integrate my 2 SONOS one speakers also to the existing AV set up. I'm not sure on what SONOS product would help me do that .
Can you please help suggest if I need to go for SONOS CONNECT or SONOS Amp for integrating the systems?

Thanks

Logan

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

A CONNECT (or its replacement, the Port) are designed to be added to receivers to get the Sonos stream into the receiver.

Note, however, that if you're sending a signal from the receiver to the Sonos device, there's a slight delay, while the Sonos device processes the signal so it can be played in sync across all Sonos devices connected. Which means it's not in sync with the speakers connected to the receiver.

For instance, you should not expect this to function as a way to get additional home theater speakers involved, either front or surrounds.

A CONNECT:AMP or the replacement, the Sonos Amp, would power non-Sonos speakers that would normally be plugged in to a receiver/amp.
Thank you for clarification Bruce.
You're most welcome. Didn't want you to spend money with an expectation that couldn't be met.

Sonos is a great system when used as designed. Pretty much like every other system out there, when you try to fit it in to situations that are not as designed, it doesn't perform well.

Unfortunately, in the world of audio, there's a lot of differing systems, and of course no company wants to work to a common standard, so that you can mix and match systems. They (and I guess not just audio companies, this could be pretty much any tech company) want to lock you in to their own ecosystems.

I tend not to badmouth other companies ecosystems. I don't know as much about them as I do Sonos'. I'm familiar with the limitations of Sonos, and have dumped my A/V system in favor of a Sonos solution, which I'm happy with.

It's not what I would choose for a high end media room, but it works extraordinarily well for my living room, and frankly playing music throughout my home.

To quote another prolific and very intelligent poster in this forum: Horses for courses.