Question

unable to hear the tv through my new 2 x Sonos One SL Wireless Multi-room Speakers

• 1 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi 

I recently bought the Sonos beam. I’m absolutely thrilled With it so much so I have just purchased two of the Sonos one SL is wireless multi room speakers. However, after connecting I find that I am unable to hear the TV sound through the speakers.   I went through the setup twice in case I’d done something wrong. But The setup system is that easy to do there is nothing complicated that would’ve made me think I did anything wrong. Now to my surprise and reading reviews on here I find that the speakers which were advertised as giving the ultimate in surroundsound is totally untrue.  Yes it gives amazing sound with the music but I’m watching regular TV I cannot hear through the sound bar because the music from the speakers is far too loud. I can’t help but think that I have purchased these items which I’m not really fit for purpose to enhance TV sound it is for music sound only. Does anybody have any information they can give me to either rectify this if there is any rectification or advice re-returning these items for something different, although I feel that these items are non-returnable.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hi. This is probably user error of some sort…

Have you added the speakers as surround speakers to your Beam?  Or have you just grouped the speakers?

Are you playing a source that is formatted in Dolby Digital 5.1?  If you are just listening to OTA TV broadcasts they won’t be sending any audio to the rear speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Also, in room settings you can select the volume of rear speakers relative to the front ones. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Janoir 

I agree with @John B that is sounds like you have the Sonos One SL’s configured incorrectly.:thinking:

Here are the correct configurations:

1. To use as surrounds with your Beam click this link: 
  2. To use as stand-alone speakers or in stereo pair click this link

If you use the One SL’s as surrounds you can set them to play as full stereo speakers for music and auto switch to surround mode for movies. As John B indicated you most likely will not get any surround material with OTA broadcasts. Some Cable broadcasts do provide 5.1 content which will send surround material to the SL’s.

If you follow option 2 and later GROUP them to your Beam there will be a 70ms delay for TV audio and may cause an echo effect if in the same room as the Beam.

To avoid any missteps I suggest you Factory Reset the Sonos One SL’s before attempting any of the above. Click this link

Cheers!

Thank you very much for all your replies   I apologise now as  I’m not 100% a tec savvy person  🧐  and I’m hoping that it is my error  on setting up 

any help is much appreciated  

John - yes I added them as surround sound  - the question appeared so I pressed yes as I believed this is what  I needed to do . I wasn’t given the option  to do anything else  

John I’m sorry but I do not understand  what you mention here ‘Are you playing a source that is formatted in Dolby Digital 5.1?  If you are just listening to OTA TV broadcasts they won’t be sending any audio to the rear speakers. ?   Sorry what is OTA ? 

Q/ so if I ‘group’ the speakers am I going to get a delay on audio  so the beam and the speakers play with a few seconds delay ? 

AJ -  so do I not want it to be set as surround sound ?   I  bought them  to enhance the beam  sound . 

NIC - do the settings mention front or rear speakers ?  I cannot see this option on mine 

Sorry guys im confused now what I need to do. 

thank you