Two Remotes to Control Playbase.

• 7 October 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
Greetings. For the last year I have been using BOTH my DirectTV RC73 and my standard LG TV remote (not a Magic remote) to control the volume on my Playbase. It worked perfectly using either one I grabbed. However, my DirecTV remote died yesterday and I had to get a new one. I don't remember what I did originally to make them both work with the Playbase. But they did and it IS possible. Right now, I can only get either one to work, not both. Can anyone with a solution please respond with clear instructions on how I can again use both remotes to control Playbase volume. Please don't respond if you are going to say only one remote can be used at a time, etc. Thank you so very much!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You would have set one of them to "mirror" the other. i.e. both of them would appear to the PLAYBASE as the same set of IR commands. The PLAYBASE wouldn't know which one was sending them, just that it was interpreting a single set of IR codes.

I don't have at hand any instructions by which you would do that. I'd make the assumption that you "taught" the DirecTV remote to mimic the LG remote...it's more likely to be the one that "learns". Check the online DirecTV help website, and set it up as a LG controller. Then you can set the PLAYBASE to recognize the LG IR codes, and since both remotes would be sending the same data, Bob's your uncle, as they say.
Badge +1
Bruce, thanks for the thoughtful reply. This makes a lot of sense. I will research how to make the DirecTV remote mimic the LG remote! Thanks so much.
You're most welcome. Just had to work my way backwards...the Sonos will only understand 1 set of IR codes at a time, so therefore both remotes need to be the same. Fortunately (although I don't use mine), I'm pretty sure the DirecTV remotes are learning remotes.
Badge +1
It worked! I programmed the DirecTV remote to mimic LG remote. May all who ever have this question read this answer! Thanks again!