TV sound with only in ceiling speakers

• 18 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I like a minimalist look and therefore am trying to figure out if I can only use Sonance in ceiling speakers with Sonos Amps for my TV audio (maybe add a subwoofer). I would like to NOT use a soundbar or other speakers, does this work?

Our house has 5 in ceiling places speakers close to the TV wired to an AV room:

• one in the center right on top of the TV
  • one to the left and one to the right on top of the tv
  • two a bit further back behind 

the tv is a Samsung Neo 85”

thanks for any suggestions,

T

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

SONOS does not support a five speaker ceiling setup such as yours. You could use two AMP’s driving four speakers. The center ceiling speaker would not be used.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think the sound quality would be good with those four speakers abs no center channel? Eg making it feel like the sound is coming from the TV?

Ceiling front speakers are not the best choice for TV sound because the sound is somewhat displaced from the TV, but it could be good enough for your purposes. I know some peiple who have a relatively large, open living room-dining room-kitchen area and mostly they watch from the kitchen area and the TV is at the opposite end of the room. Ceiling speakers are fine for them.

With respect to a center speaker: If the L/R speakers are close to the TV, a center channel is redundant.

Ceiling surround speakers are not as disorienting as ceiling front speakers. It’s important that the surround speakers are not too close to the listeners, such as siting on end tables at the ends of a couch, because one speaker will dominate a person sitting at either end of the couch. In my opinion, ear level surround speakers are best, but ceiling is much better than too close to the viewer.