Question

TV - Sonos - AV Receiver

• 26 July 2017
  • 2 replies

Hi All!

I was hoping someone could help me!

I'm planning on buying a Connect for my AV receiver (Onkyo HT-S3705 home cinema set).

Imagine i am watching television, can i use Sonos as a "remote" for the audio? So basically i want my AV connect to Sonos and then not use the remote of the AV + change the channels of my AV if i want to switch between listining music or watching television.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hi Jamesco , Welcome to the Community.

Be aware the connect isn't designed for connecting to visual sources such as TV's etc as the line input is analogue which means there will be a slight delay in hearing the audio, as it has to go through the analogue to digital conversion, so there would be a delay of the TV sound versus the picture, the Connect is designed for allowing you to turn an existing Amp/Hifi into an output for SONOS, i.e. so you can play Spotify through your existing Amp/Hifi for example, and for allowing you to connect an input such as a CD player, turntable etc in order to output that source to your other SONOS Speakers. The SONOS application can control the everything related to the SONOS components such as volume, source, which room you want to play in etc The Playbar & Playbase are designed for connecting to Visual sources as they have a digital optical input, so no conversion is needed and the sound will be in sync with the picture. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding your question, thanks
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sonos cannot control an AVR, so you can't just use the Sonos app to control it. You can, however, use the Logitech Harmony Hub and App (among other apps) to easily control both Sonos system and AVR. And then Alexa can control that. Higher up the scale are things like the Elan G1, where you can go completely nuts - but that's a different subject. 🙂