Question

TV Remote vs Sonos Controller Volume Control for TV - In a PLAYBAR + PLAY 1 Setup

• 19 May 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge
Hi, I am new to this forum and wanted to get your thoughts on this issue please. I recently purchased a PLAYBAR and also have a PLAY1. Its all set up correctly and grouped together and PLAYBAR is connected to my Sony TV. The TV remote is configured too. Also the Sound settings in TV is set to "Audio Source" Problem is that even though i reduce the sound using the TV remote the PLAYBAR and PLAY 1 still keeps playing the TV sound. The display in the TV shows sound reducing to 0......., but in fact it doesn't. So then I have to reduce the volume using the Controller from my iphone. Can you let me know, what do I need to do, so that the TV remote can be used to control sound of the Playbar independent of the Controller App.
Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi SB_AU,

Welcome to the Sonos Community.

Could you let me know what you are using on your TV to get audio and video? What I mean by that is are you using TV apps, a cable box, Apple TV, etc.? If you are using any of these media sources, make sure that you have configured these to work with external speakers as well.

It seems that you may have already done this, but please make sure that the TV speakers have already been disabled.

Do you mind submitting a diagnostic and letting us know the confirmation number?
Badge
Hi Omar H,
Apologies for delay in getting back to you. At the moment I have got my TV Antenna cable connected to the TV and that's the only source for Audio/Video. I also submitted a diagnostic report as you requested and the number is 7420787. If you can kindly have a look please, will be great.
Thanks
SB_AU
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there SB_AU.

What is the make and model of your TV? This could give us a better idea of what we are working with when it comes to the audio video plugs in the back. Seems like we are getting a signal from the TV. Could possibly something with the Remote association/configuration process. Did you notice anything weird when setting up your remote? Skipped screens? Missing prompts?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I'm just very curious.
Badge
Hi Keith,
Thanks for getting back. The TV Model is Sony KD55X9000C. The Remote setup was seamless and no issues. The problem is that using the TV remote is only effective when the Sonos Controller App is shutdown. As soon as the app is started on the phone, the volume control by TV remote becomes an issue. Also I noticed another thing. I have a Sonos Play 1 grouped with the Playbar. Even in a group, using the TV Remote will reduce/increase the volume of the Playbar, but the Play1's volume can't be controlled. So I have to then start the app on my phone and use it to reduce/increase the volume. Absolutely love the sound of the speakers, but this volume control issue is really effecting the whole experience. Your advice will be really helpful.

Thanks
SB_AU
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
SB_AU,

I would try re-associating that Sony TV controller with the PLAYBAR. This will reset the IR frequencies and should improve performance. See how here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4033

When the PLAY:1 is "grouped" with the PLAYBAR, it will not pick up the volume adjustments made by the TV remote. The PLAY:1 will have to be adjusted through the application if it is not working as a surround sound speaker. The only way to control the PLAY:1's volume with the TV remote is to have two of them setup as surround speakers.
Badge
Hi Omar,

Will give that a go and see. Thanks for mentioning about the Play 1 issue. Will have to get an additional speaker I suppose, as I only have 1 at the moment, to test this. Hopefully your suggestion will fix the issue.

Thanks
SB_AU
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
When you have a pair of Play1's bonded to the Playbar as surround speakers you have the option of full music mode.

Adjusting the volume of the Playbar with the TV controller (when streaming music) adjusts the volume of the whole system (including the Play1's).

I use my Tivo remote mainly so taught the Playbar the Tivo remote IR frequency, works a treat even when the Sonos App is active on my Android phone.