TV dialog (Lip sync) setting needs longer delay

• 13 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi.
I’ve bought Philips TV. OLED806. I have Sonos Arc and Ones.

And lip sync wasn’t correct. Adjusting to step 5 (the highest) helped a little. But it seems as it needs at least step 7. Or more.

Is it possible to “hack” this setting to allow higher number? :)

Thanks.

Josef

3 replies

Any software can be hacked. I wouldn’t know where to start with Sonos, and certainly wouldn’t recommend it. 

Have you checked the audio and video settings in the TV set to see if there’s an adjustment that can be made there?

@soulwasted,
Can you perhaps kindly assist a little further, which lip-sync setting are you referring to? - Is it a feature in the Sonos App, or a setting on your Philips TV?

Normally a TV displays the video on screen and also sends the audio out the port (HDMI/Optical etc.) to the connected soundbar/receiver ASAP to play that audio ‘immediately’ and in sync with the video on screen. If the TV cannot process that audio quickly enough through its ports, then that can cause issues with lip sync (obviously).

The Sonos Arc is like most external HT speakers and will ‘usually’ just play the audio as soon as it receives it.

The only reason I can think of for the Arc to buffer/delay the audio, is if you perhaps want to play it in sync with other Sonos ‘grouped’ rooms (in the same physical room) and of course that may involve some lip sync issues with the video on screen, but normally the whole HT ‘bonded’ setup plays the (sent) audio immediately on-receipt, with ‘virtually’ no buffering at all.

If you are presently ‘grouping’ your ‘Ones’ with your Sonos Arc for TV audio output, then you may find you will have much better success if you ‘bond’ them to the Arc instead for HT surround sound audio, as the latter setup is designed to play all audio-output in sync with the video on screen.