Skip to main content
Question

Turntable + Port + Surround Speakers

• 18 June 2024
  • 5 replies

I’m thinking of purchasing a Premium Immersive Set with Arc , and ideally being able to “stream” music from a turntable - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable in Black (Sonos Edition), with a Port.

Would this allow me to seamlessly switch from TV sound to Turntable, with sound coming from the surround 100s as well?

I’ve found a few confusing suggestions about creating different rooms, pairing different speakers, using a 100 as “line in”, but that doesn't sound very appealing…

5 replies

The short answer is yes.

The Immersive set would be setup as a Sonos room.  When playing TV audio, the Era 100s will be used for surround sound only.  When playing other sources then you can set it up to play ambient audio, for full stereo audio.

You would then setup a 2nd Sonos room to take in audio from the turntable.  You can definitely use a Port for this, but any Sonos speaker with a line in will do.  You could get a 3rd Era 100, for example, instead of a Port and save yourself some money.  The turntable audio can then be played with your Arc room, this 2nd room (if using a speaker in this room) or both rooms together.

Thank you so much for the quick reply and clarification!

Another couple of questions:

• in order to choose the 2nd room as turntable output, do I just use the Sonos App?
  • slightly off topic… AirPlay 2 - will I be able to stream stereo audio from my iPhone, with sound coming from surround 100s as well? I assume if playing music from Apple TV connected to TV, then it should work fine in all speakers, and even Atmos quality?

If you go to the settings for the Port, you can turn Line-In Autoplay to On and specify the Autoplay room as the room with the other speakers.  To get Atmos music from Apple Music, you need to use the Sonos app.  Airplay is stereo only.  I’m not sure if you can play Atmos music from the Apple TV, I’m not an Apple TV user. 

Fabulous, thanks again 🙏🏻

When you say AirPlay is stereo only, I understand it won’t be Atmos, but sound will still also come from the surround 100s?

Fabulous, thanks again 🙏🏻

When you say AirPlay is stereo only, I understand it won’t be Atmos, but sound will still also come from the surround 100s?

Yes.  You can set them to Ambient or Full for music.