Answered

Turn Beam off

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Alright, not sure if anyone but me wants to do this, but I want to be able to turn off my Beam and paired Ones. I do not always need surround sound. Is it possible to turn the Beam and Ones off, and just use the factory TV speakers?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 20 July 2018, 01:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Deez72. Thanks for posting. There is currently no way to turn off or disable Sonos speakers, outside of unplugging them from power. You will also need to dig around your TV's audio settings to re-enable the TV speakers afterwards.

In the meantime, I am happy to forward this topic along to the team for consideration and visibility. Thanks again for the feedback!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thank you, thank feature would be a nice have.
+1

I'm having the same issue, but with an LG TV.
This feature is really needed, at least a way to disconnect from AnyNet is needed. On my Samsung KS8000 the Arc connection for my new Beam can’t be disconnected from without it auto reconnecting due to Anynet (CEC).

This means that I cannot use any other audio option on my TV now. I like to occasionally wear Bluetooth headphones to keep my living room quiet for others. Every time I attempt to switch to Bluetooth audio via my TV it attempts to disconnect from the Beam but cannot.

Would absolutely love to see a feature for this soon. Might have to return the Beam if it can’t handle it in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Rather than turn off or disable something on the Beam, why not just turn off AnyNet (or whatever the HDMI-CEC setting is called on your TV) first, since you're in the TV menus anyway?

Maybe Sonos should handle it better if the TV requests switching to a different audio output device, but it's not impossible to work around the issue now...
I like to occasionally wear Bluetooth headphones to keep my living room quiet for others.
Me too, but since I require aptX Low Latency I simply use an external Bluetooth transmitter, powered up as required. This can be fed directly from the TV's optical/PCM output. (I actually use a headphone Dolby processor that takes optical/DD and connects to the BT transmitter via 3.5mm analog.)

When the BT is in use the regular speakers are simply muted.
Hi there, Deez72. Thanks for posting. There is currently no way to turn off or disable Sonos speakers, outside of unplugging them from power. You will also need to dig around your TV's audio settings to re-enable the TV speakers afterwards.

In the meantime, I am happy to forward this topic along to the team for consideration and visibility. Thanks again for the feedback!

I recently bought a beam.. and have the same problem.
Sonos kicks out other audio output.
When connecting to other Bluetooth headset, it kicks out the bluetooth connection when trying to turn off Anynet. Annoying.

Have any idea of this feature being introduced to fix the problem.?
Same issue here. Disabling anynet isn't really an option. What happens is loosing volume control over the beam and the tv speakers coming up again, which can be volume controlled then. The beam continues to sound without volume control. Disabling anynet requires digging deep in the tv menus also.
What's needed is a simple disable function. I tried just unplugging power from the beam and it kind of works. Tv speakers come back and a bluetooth set can be used. After plugging back power the beam takes half a minute or so to become active again. So a power interruption switch is a possibility, although not an elegant one....
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same, I want to be able to switch between TV speakers for late at night and Beam for movies etc earlier in the day. I have a Harmony remote and can likely set it up in there to have a non-beam activity for when I just want TV speakers but surely there's a way with voice control to turn the sound from the Beam off and go back to TV speakers and still have voice control?! Please sort this!
But when the TV has HDMI CEC Controls Enabled, the TV will always listen for commands on the HDMI-ARC port, so the TV really needs an easy way to switch off HDMI CEC, whether that be Simplink on LG, or Anynet+ on Samsung or Sony Bravia etc.

The alternative is to not use HDMI ARC and CEC controls and go with a toslink optical connection to the Beam instead.
Why would anyone want to return to crappy TV speakers? If lower volume at night is your goal, I suggest the down volume control on your remote. Night Mode on the Beam helps, too.
Badge
This is painful. If I get a movie with DTS and want to switch back to the TV speakers to actually hear something, the only way seems to be power the beam off. I have the power located behind the TV, which makes this very annoying.
Should be able to turn off the beam via the app.
I have the same issue. Anynet (CEC) attempts to disconnect on command, which does happen for about 3 seconds before Sonos Beam overrides the command. My solution is to disconnect the HDMI from the rear of the Beam, which allows access to other audio outputs such as TV speakers or Bluetooth Headphones. I note this is a fundamental flaw in the Beam setup, and has been going on for a while. It's about time the engineers at Sonos came up with a solution.
Hi there.
Just received my Beam, and I'm quite disappointed to confirm that HDMI ARC can not be deactivated at all. Choosing the audio output on my LG TV has no effect, since it comes back to HDMI ARC a few seconds later. I have some scenarios where I have to use other audio outputs, and adding the Beam in the workflow just breaks everything.

I do understand that the TV has to automatically select HDMI ARC if available from the ARC norm, so the solution would be to turn it off on the beam itself.

Any chance happen (ideally, soon)?
Hi. I’m new to the forum / community and this is my first post. I have just completed setting up my Sonos Beam and am very happy. It has taken the place of an older Samsung Playbar which I would use when we decided to watch a movie for improved “cinema sound” - well, better than tv speakers at any rate! Having just finished watching our first movie with the Beam in action I wanted to switch back to the tv speakers, turning off the play beam. This was possible with the Samsung but not with the Sonos Beam?

This is a real negative for me personally! I really think this should be made possible to give people the option. We live in a semi detached property and I don’t want to disturb or upset my neighbours!

Please, please, please can this be addressed. Is it possible?
Hi Bferry 70. You can disconnect the HDMI lead from the back of the Beam, which will allow you to use TV speakers or BT headphones. When you want to use the Beam again, just plug it back in. Better than removing the power from the Beam as this requires the Beam to re-connect to Wi-Fi which can take a minute or two. I agree this is not an ideal solution, but there have been several requests to Sonos engineers to enable a Beam disconnection facility via software.
Hi Cardiff Station. Thanks for the reply. Would this not result in a loose / dodgy connection over time? I really hope that Sonos offer a solution with firmware update. Do you think they will? I’m more concerned that the wife gets fed up of there being no simple solution and insists on it being removed or replaced! Fingers crossed that Sonos deal with this soon!
We see this request occasionally and I've never understood why one would want to use TV speakers after using a proper sound system. My surround sound system is used 24/7, if the sound is too loud for the content, I turn it down. In fact, I've actually owned TVs that I've never heard the sound on.
something as simple as switching the beam off with software should be a no brainer. In my case its about wanting to use bluetooth headphones without having to remove a cable from the back of the beam its not about turning off to switch back to rubbish tv speakers. Disabling hdmi cec on my samsung tv doesnt do the trick either the beam still kicks back in alongside the bluetooth headphones. Just switched from a denon heos system to a so called better system but already found a problem with my beam on the first day that i didnt have on my heos system. Its a big issue for me b ecause at night i use bluetooth headphones quite often. Aside from that very happy with everything else the beam offers
Hi there.
Just received my Beam, and I'm quite disappointed to confirm that HDMI ARC can not be deactivated at all. Choosing the audio output on my LG TV has no effect, since it comes back to HDMI ARC a few seconds later. I have some scenarios where I have to use other audio outputs, and adding the Beam in the workflow just breaks everything.

I do understand that the TV has to automatically select HDMI ARC if available from the ARC norm, so the solution would be to turn it off on the beam itself.

Please turn off SIMPLINK (LG's version of HDMI CEC) in the TV options, should be there under general and that should turn off HDMI ARC which will let you choose the other sound output options from the TV. Selecting the output to ARC will turn it back on and you will need to repeat the process for the next time.

Hi there.

Please turn off SIMPLINK (LG's version of HDMI CEC) in the TV options, should be there under general and that should turn off HDMI ARC which will let you choose the other sound output options from the TV. Selecting the output to ARC will turn it back on and you will need to repeat the process for the next time.

This worked for me. However, as a newbie to Sonos and Beam i cant see me using the TV sound on its own again. The sound levels from the Beam are something else and its certainly impressed me.

Did Sonos ever provide a solution to power off the beam or are we forever resigned to sucking energy when not in use?

Did Sonos ever provide a solution to power off the beam or are we forever resigned to sucking energy when not in use?

I would like to know this too please - I just bought the Beam and can’t believe there is no way to turn it off other than unplugging it and then having to set it up again when it’s turned back on.  Is it sucking power when it’s not in use?  I will return mine if there is no way to turn it off when not in use

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Same with Bose speakers - designed as Always On with no power switch. I think Sonos spec says 6watts in standby mode so not a huge power demand. 

We upgraded to a TrickleStar advanced powerstrip and plugging the Sonos into a ‘switched’ outlet.