Toggle off and on surround sound

• 24 November 2018
  • 4 replies

I have Sonos surround sound (Playbase, Sub, 2 Play:1) set up for a large room where we have a large screen TV. we can sit on furniture in front of the TV and surround sound is appropriate and it sounds great. But in another area of the room, we have a dining table (next to the 2 Play:1 speakers). We would like to EASILY toggle between surround sound and full sound when watching TV (since when we are at the dining table, we can't hear the TV voice channel and surround sound is not appropriate - how can that be done?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It cannot be done easily. Bonding the Playbase to surrounds is supposed to be semi-permanent, and you would have to reconfigure each time you switched.

Did you try setting the surrounds to "Full" for music in the settings? That will give you full volume for music sources, though the Playbase will still play.
Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought. It seems that they could create a software fix that would allow for just a surround "on or off" setting - so when off it goes into the music setting on all speakers.
There is a Surrounds on/off setting, but it turns them off, as in no sound at all.
I have same situation. it ir very bad do re-link each time the surround when we separe the speaker temporrary to listen as stereo. This should be an improvement by Sonos do switch on or off easly and taken the same values before registred for surround. It happen daily to use the play1 behind the sofa as stereo speaker or as surround. Thank you for suggestion and improvement.:$