Third Party Dolby Atmos Soundbar with Sonos Speakers

• 8 January 2019
  • 1 reply

I have seen a separate thread on a 3rd party soundbar being used to integrate with Sonos Play:1's under https://en.community.sonos.com/what-to-get-228989/sonos-play-1s-in-stereo-and-third-party-klipsch-soundbar-and-wireless-subwoofer-6798309

I am planning to buy a Sony HT-ST5000 (Dolby Atmos Soundbar + Sub) and I was wondering if this can be connected to my current Sonos Play:1's. My proposed set-up would be to use the Sonos Play:1's as my Rear Surround Speakers. Would this be possible via a Sonos Connect?

Pardon the newbie questions, but can you let me know if I have envisioned the set-up properly?

- TV is connected to Sony HT-ST5000 via HDMI IN
- Sony HT-ST5000 Optical to be connected to Sonos:Connect Optical
- Sonos:Connect will be able to see the Sonos Play:1's
- Configure Sonos Play:1's as Rear Surround

Is this correct? I've also include a picture of Sony's HT-ST5000's rear and Sonos:Connect rear.

Sony HT-ST5000 Rear

Sonos:Connect

Appreciate the help of the community!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Might work, but you wouldn't be very happy with it. The analog input on any Sonos device incurs a 75ms delay. This would cause your surround speakers to be out of sync of the rest of the system, and not make things sound good.

If you're going to use a soundbar, you're better off using surrounds made by the same company, designed to work with that soundbar.