Question

Surround sound with connect amp.

• 25 January 2018
  • 9 replies

Hi, I have a Sonos base and sub connected to my TV. I also have a connect amp for two ceiling speakers but there is a delay with the sound. I was told there is a way to join them to have 5.1 surround.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Have you followed the instructions on the Sonos help page?
Clickly.
Perfect, thanks.
So all good with adding the speakers but now it doesn't sound like anything is coming out of them and the app doesn't show a volume control?
Are you playing a Dolby Digital 5.1 source from TV? In the app, under About My Sonos System, the Playbase info will tell you if the PB is receiving stereo or 5.1. There may be little or nothing being sent to the rear speakers.

In the Playbase Room Settings you can adjust the levels (Advanced Audio, Surround settings). For music, if you want more out of the rear speakers set Music Playback to Full.
Thanks, just checked and shows I am playing in stereo yet it shows the room as (+SUB+LS+RS)?
It looks like the system is set up correctly then. It is the format of the signal that the Playbar is receiving that is the issue. What sources are you playing? Blu-ray/DVD? OTA TV? Cable / satellite box? What TV do you have and have you set it to output Dolby Digital over the optical link?
I have a LG B6Oled running optical to the playbase. I have a 4k Telus Optic box into the TV via HDMI and XBox One S also HDMI into the TV. All are connected to my network via ethernet. I have checked the settings on all of them to try to get 5.1.
As a quick experiment, try moving the optical cable so that it goes direct from Telus (if it has optical) to Playbar and play something from Telus that you know is 5.1. What does app say the Playbar is receiving?
Maybe do the same with XBox. Play a DVD rather than a BluRay if you have one.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
I've just disconnected my Sonos Ones to try using a ZP100 driving LS + RS instead. Even though the IP address of the Playbase is correct, the first field only shows "[None]". Presumably it should show the current name of the ZP100 I've connected to the Playbase via ethernet cable. Maybe I have to remove it first?

Are the options relating to speaker distance relative to listening position rather than distance from the Playbase? I'd be grateful if someone could confirm this.

If I'm unsuccessful i'll reinstate the Sonos Ones.