Question

Surround Setup Error

• 9 January 2017
  • 9 replies

I have a Playbar and 2 Play 1's. When I am trying to set up surround, I am getting the following message:-
Surround Setup Error - There was a problem adding the surround speaker. Please make sure the surround speaker and PLAYBAR are connected to power. The Play 1's have a constant white light. I have changed the wireless channels and tried 1-6-11 and am getting the same messages. I ran a diagnostics and code is 6976901. Any help would be much appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Following. I am having the same problem with my Play 3's trying to get them to pair with my Playbar for surround.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a Playbar and 2 Play 1's. When I am trying to set up surround, I am getting the following message:-
Surround Setup Error - There was a problem adding the surround speaker. Please make sure the surround speaker and PLAYBAR are connected to power. The Play 1's have a constant white light. I have changed the wireless channels and tried 1-6-11 and am getting the same messages. I ran a diagnostics and code is 6976901. Any help would be much appreciated

Hi dansc,

There's some wireless interference showing up on the 5 ghz band. The PLAYBAR uses 5 ghz when communicating with surround speakers but it uses 2.4 ghz for other communication. Please check around your PLAYBAR for any third party wireless devices which could be interfering. Common sources of 5 ghz interference include cordless phones, wireless cameras and wireless baby monitors.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Following. I am having the same problem with my Play 3's trying to get them to pair with my Playbar for surround.

Hi Leslie123456,

Please submit a diagnostic report from your system and reply with the number.
I am having same problem is adding sorround system and getting "sorround set up error" tried everything and impossible to get sonos tech support and I have two systems and same problem in both started three days ago. Please help.
I reset the play1s to factory setting and then added the sorround sound and it worked.
Factory reset is to remove the power cord and while pressing play pause button connect power cord and keep it pressed till light starts blinking . then I could reconnect it to sorround
I am having exactly the same problem, have tried factory reset but still keep getting error message “surround setup error”
biker1956,

I'd recommend reading the post from Jeff S, three above yours.
Airgetlam thanks for the reply, I tried another Play 1 from another room and that one connected straight away. Then tried adding the original Play 1 as a stand-alone but it will not connect, so it must be a fault with the Play 1 itself.
In that case, I'd recommend that you contact Sonos to discuss it. If there's a hardware fault in the device, it's best to talk to them by phone to get the potential options.