Skip to main content
Question

Surround 5.1 Sonos Play1 or Sonos One ? Will both work?

• 21 November 2017
  • 3 replies

OK, so I've already got a PlayBar and Sub (and they sound awesome btw but that's another thread).

I want to add in 2 rear speakers for 5.1 awesomeness.

I had originally thought of buying 2 x Sonos One's for use at the rear speakers (and elsewhere in the house at other times) but not 100% sure if the ONE can be used this way? Anyone? Can they be used alongside Playbar/Sub in 5.1 configuration?

I know the Play1 and One cannot be paired together for rear 5.1 speakers (which is a massive shame) so it's a straight choice between 2 x Play1's or 2 x Ones?

I see that Sonos will be selling the PLay1's for £150 this week, so do I go that way or wait for a better deal on 2 x One's? (if they can even work in 5.1 setup).

Thanks!
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I know I'd save £100 if I managed to buy 2 x PLay1's for £300 (instead of 2 x ONE's) but I guess I like the idea of the assistant function. I currently have a Google Home which is brilliant, so when the Google assistant comes to the ONE in January it'd be the perfect kit I reckon (and could sell on the Google Home unit to help pay the extra £100 I'd shell out on the ONE's).

Interested in people's thoughts.

Reading further, It does seem the 2 x ONE's can be used in 5.1 with PLaybar/Sub but would love someone to confirm they do definitely work!

PS, add in the mix that in the US the ONE"s are being discounted to $175, so hopefully that follows suits here too... it'd certainly make my decision easier! (once it's confirmed the ONE's work properly in 5.1!)
Yes, Sonos Ones (a pair) can definitely be used as surround speakers.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Yes, Sonos Ones (a pair) can definitely be used as surround speakers.

Great thanks. I think I'll go for a pair of them then, assuming the £175 deal comes to the UK on Friday!